Rogers Swan-leg Hi-hat stand and Rust

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
Long story Short: I bought a complete '67 Rogers kit, practically untouched since '67, with every intention of flipping at least the hardware and cymbals. The drums are in decent shape, but the stands are pretty rusty. Usually, I'll just clean stands up the best I can, and sell 'em cheap.
But I made the mistake of trying out the darn Swan-leg Hi-hat stand. It works perfectly, and I really like it! And it fits nicely into my canister throne. It's even better than my old Ludwig.
I understand and appreciate the perils of using steel-wool on stands, so...

How does one clean a considerably rusted Rogers Swan-Leg Hi-hat stand?

More about the drums in a separate thread.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
I’d use a soapy sos pad with warm water. Works great on rust with no visible scratching on that durable heavy duty Rogers chrome plate

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
The admonition against using steel-wool (along with Brillo and SOS) is that it causes microscopic scratches -- not visible -- that allow moisture to get past the chrome, such that down the road, the stand will rust more than ever.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
The admonition against using steel-wool (along with Brillo and SOS) is that it causes microscopic scratches -- not visible -- that allow moisture to get past the chrome, such that down the road, the stand will rust more than ever.
In the case of an already compromised situation the idea of bringing the stand back to an acceptable and presentable condition in my book trumps long term down the road

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've had a couple stands do well in a 5-7 day Dawn soak. Go pretty concentrated if you can. One Gretsch Giant cymbal stand I had was 80-90% rusted and just looked horrible being mostly all brown/orange.
I bathed it for 5 days with light SoS rubs here and then to remove rust layers. That stand came out looking very acceptable and then sold on Reverb for $75. I figured it for $10-$15 when I started.
If your stand has mostly orange and brown rust most of that can be coaxed off. It's the black stuff and massive chrome breaks to base metal....that you can't do much about. Though in those cases
I've "spot helped" isolated areas with lighter acids like Muriatic to clean the bass metal from black to silver/gray. I first learned of soaking steel car parts in Muriatic acid back in the early 1990's. And I've since learned
how to use it judiciously on smaller chrome parts as needed - tension rods, nuts, wing bolts, smaller tubes, etc. Can't soak for hours on end as eventually it could burn into the chrome. Lots of other cleaning jelllys and soakers
out there for rusted drum parts. If you had a large ultra-sonic sink then shaking the stand in Dawn would be my first choice.

Last edited:

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Turtle Wax Chrome Polish. Put it on and let it sit for a while. Then a lot of rubbing with a towel. You may have to do it 2-3 times, but if the chrome is still intact, the shine will come back. If the rust has penetrated the chrome and caused it to flake off, not much can be done with that specific area. But if the chrome loss isn't too extensive the stand can still be made to look good overall.

I always avoid using any steel wool on anything chrome plated or polished...

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is a good topic because I have a swan leg one too that’s just not the smoothest and kinda rusty. I really want to fix it up but haven’t had the chance.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 in one oil and 0000 steel wool. It's not lugs or a snare, it's a rusted stand.
Dawn baths are way overrated in my opinion.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use crumpled aluminum foil and chrome polish to clean rust on chrome. Then wax to help keep future rust at bay.
+1 with crumpled aluminum foil! A picture is worth 1000 words! Here's a Rogers Supreme hi hat stand that came with the 1975 Big R kit I restored a few years ago. The use of crumpled aluminum foil, dipped in water, was recommended to me by a VDF member. Worked fantastic! I followed this with Mother's Chrome Polish. To be clear, the pictures of the lower section are from only using aluminum foil in water. Once it was cleaned, I followed up with the chrome polish. It was a lot of work, but well worth it!

-Mark

Attachments

• 1-Before.jpg
    1-Before.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 2-Before.jpg
    2-Before.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 3-Before.jpg
    3-Before.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 4-After.jpg