Rogers verification

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
Do these shells look right? They're supposedly ca 1971. All that I've been have had rerings. Thank you.

01010_bF092o1edlb_1200x900.jpg

00n0n_7PjWlFOeUZa_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Have not seen any USA Rogers shells without rerings except XP8 (memriloc era). Wrap could be faded original 60's time frame.

Hardware with the cast collets is -71 era.

Maybe a custom set with vintage wrap and parts? Assuming no paper tags.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Most of the 60's and 70's Rogers had gray painted interiors. I know the '79-'84 XP8's (8 ply maple) came with clear interiors and no re-rings. Clear interiors on your 2 concert toms is another question. And even Rogers concert toms had re-ring(s). Hopefully the rest of your drums have gray interiors.

Last edited:

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, I'm seeing Rogers beavertails, collets, T-rods, all Fullerton era correct & that does look like a real ripple wrap. The shells are definitely not USA Rogers IMO. No trunk paint, re-rings or star washers under lugs, which replaced regular washers in all 70's/80's USA Rogers I've seen. Concert toms would normally also have a metal band around lower bearing edge. Maybe someone took a Rogers R360 and gussied it up with USA parts?

lcondo123

Reaction score
Are those the only two drums out of the kit that have interiors like that? Someone must have made their own concert toms out of parts and pink strata pearl wrap when they ordered this kit, because those two concert toms are not Rogers.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
What year were Concert Toms even remotely available in Rogers

The Factory may have not put any priority on (" such a silly thing") Concert Toms and let them go Out like that...
Like gretsch didn't bother with cast hoops on some Concert toms..) just thinking..

tillerva

Reaction score
Seller says toms were ordered with lacquer interior, except the bass had gray interior he says. Hmmm

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I see quite a few "Big R" concert toms on Ebay. Not sure about the earlier Rogers. With all the concert tom kits ordered from Ludwig and Singerland (and Tama and Pearl), Rogers and Gretsch didn't have to make very many of them.

tillerva

Reaction score
Couple more. He says only the bass drum has badge/tag. Says all the other badges fell off, tags are gone. Hmmmmmmmm

00202_aiXT4bdKvyG_1200x900.jpg

2019_12_04_14.06.56.jpg

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Concert toms of any kind did not appear until the 1973 catalog. And those would have had rings and painted interiors until 1979. The subsequent XP8 concert toms would be clear inside with no rings, but they were not available in that finish, it was long gone by that time.
We can't see the finish on those toms , are we sure they are Pink Strata?

DanC

Reaction score
I blew up one of the pix. Not sure if that is genuine Rogers Pink Strata. Maybe the whole kit is a rewrap, including the 2 later toms. This might also explain the missing script badges...

DanC

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the extra pix! It does look like the right wrap. And the nail holes for the badges...

Really need to see inside all of them, edges etc, to figure this out....

tillerva

Reaction score
I think they're real (except maybe the small concert toms) but with the missing badges, tags, and mufflers, wondering how that will affect value.
He's throwing in some other stuff, but basically looking at $600-700 for the drums.

tillerva

Reaction score
FYI I bailed on these. Two many questions and just a little too far. They're in Virginia on Craigslist and Facebook and he needs to sell them this weekend if anyone wants to check them out.

You'll have to search for Rodgers.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A better value here. $800 Rogers kit popped up early this week in MASS on FB.....lasted about a day or so. And that was a fairly complete and correct '66-'67 Dayton kit with Rogers/Ludwig hardware and vintage Zildjians. Only the bass drum hoop and claws/rods were missing. And that's a 6.5" Dyna sitting back there! Oddly, one of the rack toms was in Oyster wrap while the others were BDP.

sf1.jpg

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
"The tags fell off?" "Ordered with clear lacquer?" Next he'll say "And ordered without re-rings."

Not likely. I'm guessing he's saying what the prior owner told him. I smell a rat...

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would love to see those up close- Pink Strata/Oyster Pink Pearl is not the easiest finish to fake- although I was told by an old timer that sheets were available for a short time- and I do own a 60’s Slingerland that was rewrapped in oyster pink pearl.

Someone could have harvested the wrap off a huge concert tom later on- the drums certainly are interesting even if they aren’t Rogers.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
I have an old Precision (I think) sample labeled “Pink Oyster”, but it’s not very big, so it’s hard to really see the pattern, but I think it looks more like what’s on Rogers R-360’s or a Ripple.

Here’s a question - could those 2 concert toms actually be bongos, because it looks like and 8” and a 10”, and if so, could that account for the odd shells?

The story about the script badges blowing away in the wind smells fishy, but this whole thing just seems.... strange. Why fake a kit that’s hard to fake in an extremely rare finish using real parts that have never been cheap and do a great job but then get the shells so wrong? It doesn’t make sense.

Fake Gretsch 18” kicks and fake Ringo JazzFests make perfect sense next to that.

tillerva

Reaction score
Very strange. It was clear that no one else was buying them as he kept on me pretty hard so that's a red flag as well.

Latest posts