ROGERS WILDWOOD DRUM SETS ??

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
View attachment 382449 View attachment 382450 View attachment 382448 View attachment 382446 View attachment 382447 This is my first post after lurking in the shadows for years. I acquired this Wildwood kit in the late eighties from a gentleman in Piqua, Ohio, whose brother worked at the factory in Covington. He had obtained them for his son who used the snare drum for about a month before giving up drumming.
They proceeded to sit in boxes in the closet for the next twenty years. I considered myself very fortunate to have these. I have only played these out once. The sizes are 20, 12 & 14 with a 5” snare. My understanding is that a 14 floor Tom is rare. It is a Citation configuration.
Just flat amazing. Gorgeous drum set in every way. A true unicorn, priceless. So glad you chimed in DrumJoey. Thanks so much for sharing. You appear to be an excellent caretaker of such a rare beast. Good on ya!

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
So Wildwood might be Beech/Birch/Maple/Birch/Maple? Not to start a thing. Ace
Whoa! Great question! I wonder if beech would have been a sixth "wrap," as simply replacing the plastic wrap on a similar drum. So beech/maple/birch/maple/birch/maple? Or did beech replace the outer maple ply?

My guess is that Rogers used a standard 5 ply shell supplied by Keller to their spec, and added the beech as a wrap.

drumjoey

Reaction score
I know that the inner ply of my kit is maple because all of the drums are finished like the inside of a wood-shelled dynasonic.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Would you take a close up pic of a bering edge? Ace
Unfortunately, it won't show anything, as the interior paint goes right up to the first couple of plies of that 45 degree bearing edge. So... one of us would have to slice one of our Wildwood specimens to show a cross section... And who in their right mind would do THAT???!!! :)

IMG_3109.jpg

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
Didn't really care for WW too much when I started this thread, but feeling converted. So...i take it drumjoey's kit's kinda special?.........marko

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Didn't really care for WW too much when I started this thread, but feeling converted. So...i take it drumjoey's kit's kinda special?.........marko
Just a 20/12/14 with matching wood snare is cool enough, but add in WW with mostly green as the dominant color? Blows my mind. Ace

lcondo123

Reaction score
I know that the inner ply of my kit is maple because all of the drums are finished like the inside of a wood-shelled dynasonic.
Your kit just gets more and more interesting. Rogers drums did not finish the insides of their drums unless they were made special ordered for a big-name person, like an endorser. There are only a select few Rogers drum endorser kits with the fruitwood stained interiors.

If you got this kit from someone who worked at Covington, they may have built this kit for themselves, and preferred to stain the interior than paint it the Zolotone grey. Absolutely one-of-a-kind kit you have. Incredible!

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Your kit just gets more and more interesting. Rogers drums did not finish the insides of their drums unless they were made special ordered for a big-name person, like an endorser. There are only a select few Rogers drum endorser kits with the fruitwood stained interiors.

If you got this kit from someone who worked at Covington, they may have built this kit for themselves, and preferred to stain the interior than paint it the Zolotone grey. Absolutely one-of-a-kind kit you have. Incredible!
I have seen a few kits sourced from employees that had clear lacquer interiors. Those interiors were beautiful and often showed the grain pattern. Here’s a shot from an endorser’s kit 13” tom. Makes you kind of wish the clear lacquer was the standard interior finish.

Attachments

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Mardri Gras kit I got locally here in central Ohio but he is a form member Nad I believe with 3 floor toms and beaver

Latest posts