Roland KVX V-Drums Hi Hat Volume

Brianolds442

Reaction score
I have the Roland KVX V-Drums with the new VH-10 Hi Hat, It's just not loud enough. Anyone else have this issue? I have it calibrated properly, I have gone in and set the DB Volume to 6.0 which is maxed out, still not enough. Thoughts or solutions? Thanks

tarocco

Reaction score
TD17KVX? I have one and haven't had that issue. Only thing to watch is that the Roland logo is always at the back since the sensor is on the opposite side.

Brianolds442

Reaction score
Yes I have the TD17KVX - I have it set as it's suppose to be. I just find the volume low when played through the Simmons Speaker or Monitor that came with the Kit. The hi hat sounds great when played through headphones. Are there specific adjustments that can be made? Also, do you know where I can DL free kits from? Thank you

tarocco

Reaction score
So you maxed out the volume but did you also change the pad sensitivity? Try increasing the sensitivity in the pad settings for the VH10. You should should be getting close to the max midi velocity reading (127) on a hard hit. However, if it sounds great through headphones and not your amp, that sounds like an amp issue. Are you sending a stereo signal to the amp or is it single channel only? If you are only getting the right channel that could cause an issue as the hi hats are panned left.

Not sure about free kits, I always use VST's instead of the module sounds.

Brianolds442

Reaction score
So, I'm a NOOB as far as V-Drum's go. First kit I've owned & quite honestly, first drum kit I've owned in many many years. So I have no idea what any of this stuff is. I'm not only learning how to play drums again, I'm learning a whole new beast. What I noticed & hopefully you will have an answer too is, Every Kit, the DB level or Sound as I equate it to be, are set in the Minus Levels for each piece in the kit. Snare, Toms', Cymbals, Base, Everything is minus. So not understanding, I've taken a few kits and gone through each piece and cranked up the DB to 6.0. Am I correct in doing this? Is there an easier way to crank them all up or should I not touch them?

I checked where the Amp Cable connects, I had it in the L/Mono input. I changed it to the R input and will check tomorrow to see if there's a difference. As for the Settings for the VH10, I don't know what to set that at. The Hi Hat sensitivity is at 0. The max I can set it at is +10. Is that what you mean by max midi velocity? Thank you for the help.

Last edited:

tarocco

Reaction score
No worries! I was new to this a few years ago and it is confusing at first.

So there are two settings that effect to volume of a drum pad - the volume (db) and the sensitivity. How hard you hit a drum pad is called velocity and in midi that is measured in the range from 0-127, with 127 being the loudest. So when you do a medium strength hit, its probably a midi velocity of about 80. By changing the volume (db), you change the loudness of the drum pad at a given velocity. So a hit at 80 velocity will be much louder at +6db than 0db. By changing the sensitivity, you change the velocity reading for a given strength hit. So with a high sensitivity a medium strength hit would give velocity 120 instead of 80 and you get a louder hit. Every pad needs to have the sensitivity tuned so a really strong hit tops out at velocity 127 - that way you get the best dynamic range and feel on the kit. Try increasing (and decreasing) the sensitivity and see how the pad response changes.

There is a separate menu for hihat setup but that doesn't set the sensitivity I'm talking about. If it's "Pedal HH sens" that's the wrong one. Hit the 'setup' button, strike your hihat to select it and hit f2 to get to 'basic' setup. Pad sensitivity will be there. When you hit setup and select any pad buy hitting it, there will be a visual readout of the velocity. Try to get that so a hard hit maxes out at 127. Play around with this for all the pads.

For the amp connection, the L/mono output of the module is correct. Make sure you are using a mono cable (one black line on the plug) and you should be good.

Most of all, don't be afraid to get into the settings and experiment. You can always revert to factory settings if something goes wrong.

Brianolds442

Reaction score
Thanks for this information. Very helpful. I went through each kit today and increased all the DB's to 6.0. Also changed the sensitivity to 25 on each in the pad settings. Every hit now registers at 127 max velocity. Sounds much better & has fixed some issues with volume I was experiencing. I wonder why the factory settings has most kit DB settings so low. Sensitivity was extremely low as well. Maybe each kit is individualized so they figure each person will go in and make it to their own liking. They didn't have the Novice in mind for this one. So that issue solved. As for the Amp, I changed to the L/mono on the Module & matched it on the Amp so both are Mono. Why would they be on Mono and not on the R which I assume would be stereo? I mean, it sounds good for the volume I'm able to play it at but still makes no sense. Thanks for the help & I hope I have my DB's at the correct settings.

tarocco

Reaction score
Most people wouldn't want every hit to register at 127 velocity, only the hardest hits. You'll have almost no dynamic range with the sensitivity so high. But if it works for you that's great.