Roland Made in Malaysia Cymbal Issues

Bangkok Drum

Reaction score
Hi everyone and thanks for the welcome to this forum. Apologies to any member who has already discussed this with me on another forum....lol. I own Bangkok Drum. I buy and sell second hand Roland kits for the past 6 years, as my primary business model. Lots and lots of lots of kits... Anyway, Since Roland moved its manufacturing to Malaysia, I have seen literally tons of broken cymbals. Typically, the issue affects the edge zone, rendering edge and choke functions dysfunctional. Sometimes, the issue affects the bell on rides or the entire cymbal becomes unusable. I first noticed this after Roland changed from the first generation of TD-17 kits to the current generation (marked by a switch in the cymbal mounts from old TD-11 style to new ball mount style). Now, the problem seems to have permeated all Roland series, affecting CY-5, CY-8, CY-12C and CY-13R cymbals, as well as newer CY-14CT and CY-16RT, as well. Similar reports have surfaced regarding the Roland CY-18DR. I have done lots of research and for months, could not find much info on this occurring outside of Southeast Asia. Now, that has changed and people all over seem to be equally affected. Just curious if anyone here has a similar experience with a failure on a recently purchased Roland cymbal from Malaysia. Please share your thoughts or experiences, so that I can have a complete picture before presenting all my info to Roland. Thanks!

Yes, I also had this happen to my own set, with a failure on a CY-16T bought brand new with a VAD-506 kit. The cymbal was NEVER used, but still broke on the edge zone simply from sitting in its box for 3 months... Unfortunately, I discovered this after selling it to a good customer who had the issue, unbeknownst to me. Fortunately, it was still under warranty and was fixed, unlike many that are over 12 months old and therefore off warranty.

I am happy to be here and look forward to becoming an active member of the community. Peace.

tarocco

Reaction score
No issues for me, but the last cymbal I purchased was a CY-18R about 12 months ago. Sad to hear that Roland's quality control is falling off, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is a result of staff or other resource constraints during Covid.

Bangkok Drum

Reaction score
No issues for me, but the last cymbal I purchased was a CY-18R about 12 months ago. Sad to hear that Roland's quality control is falling off, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is a result of staff or other resource constraints during Covid.
Thanks for adding to the thread. Happy that you are not having any issues. That's awesome! The goal here is simply to collect as much data as possible to present to the company in the hope that it will provoke positive action.