Roland Pad being triggered by snare noise

Moonman

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm using a Roland pad connected to a Trigger input on my SPD-SX.

The pad sits near my snare drum and has been triggering when it hasn't been struck, at the same time I hit my snare drum.

Good news = it's triggering in time. Bad news = Nobody wants to hear 808 Claps on the snare hit in a rock song (unless you're a new country music guy I suppose).

I've thought about getting rid of the externally triggered pad and buying a trigger for the snare exclusively, but that would really limit my triggering options.

Has this happened to any of you and/or do you know anything I can do to fix this problem?

Many thanks,
Chris

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
the problem might not be the pad itself.
Can you play with the sensitivity of the pad?
can you have someone hold it near where you have it mounted?

I'm guessing that the pad is so sensitive that the snare hit is causing the pad or the stand its attached to...vibrate enough to trigger the pad.

I tried mounting a cymbal pad shaped pad on a floor tom w/an LP claw mount...everytime I hit the floor...the trigger would fire...moved it

electrodrummer

Reaction score
Just change the pad/trigger settings on the SPD as per the manual.
Sensitivity,
Threshold, etc

Moonman

Reaction score
Boom! You guys are awesome. I had the worst possible combination you mentioned: Pad Sensitivity wasn't adjusted and I had it rigged on an ultralight, flat-based cymbal stand. It was the closest thing I could find in a pinch.