Roland rack hacks/alternatives?

73Rogers

Reaction score
I recently bought a TD-27KV kit and am pretty happy with it overall, especially the digital snare and ride, but the rack (MDS Standard 2) has been the biggest disappointment. I guess this rack has been used with other Roland kits but IMO it's too small to be used with a 14" snare and an 18" ride. The cymbal stands being integrated with the vertical posts also severely limit setup options.
I typically play a 4pc or a 1up/2dn setup and can't get things positioned as I'd like with this rack. Specifically because the main posts are 30+" tall, I can't get the ride as low as I'd like. Also, with the space the 18" ride takes up, there's not enough length on the right side bar to put 2 pads in floor tom positions. One pad ends up being partly under the ride and in a weird spot. Attaching a pic to illustrate.

I thought about trying to mount things from conventional stands but for $3k I shouldn't have to drop a couple hundred more to make it work. At the very least I need a longer right side tube. The one that came with it is 2ft long. 3ft would probably work.

I emailed Roland, they weren't much help. They sent me a link to their parts site which just has a page that says it's closed because of the virus, so I can't even look at a parts list there. I also thought about trying to buy a piece of PVC pipe at the home store but they are not the same size. The Roland pipe is 1.5" outside dimension, and 1'5" PVC pipe refers to the inside dimension.

So I'm asking if anyone has sources for Roland parts or suggestions on how to DIY a new tube. or has suggestions for an affordable alternative?
Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions!

IMG_6005.JPG

electrodrummer

Reaction score
Racks are just tubes and clamps.

You can use tubes and clamps from anyone (Roland, Yamaha, Gibraltar, Dixon, etc etc etc)

Buy your tubes and clamps from ebay / a music store / etc and build a rack how you like. Tubes are next to nothing. e.g £25 in the UK right now:

All my racks are Frankensteins built of bits from Roland / Yamaha / Pearl / Unknown / etc

It's just Meccano.

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
can you swap the vertical post that’s too long with the horizontal post that’s too short? If not a hacksaw could be used to lower the vertical post.
like Electro said you can add Gibraltar parts to a Roland rack no problem. I have.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mount the second floor tom off the right most vertical post instead of the horizontal bar. That should give you a few more inches to slide everything to the right. IF the ride is too high, swap out the tall vertical posts with the short ones. That should bring everything down.

A rack is just a kit of parts. Like an erector set. Just pull everything apart and build it how you want it to be. No need to be stuck using the original configuration Roland set it up with.

When I had a Roland kit I set up my rack like this:

Nothing

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I also have a mix. Most of my rack goes back to my oldest kit a TD7. I've added to it, sometimes just finding braces to hold more weight etc. The only problem is the plastic T Joints are cheap and are prone to breaking. But you can get parts from ultimate support or others.

Wxmaggot

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably not helping here, but I used my Pearl cymbal stands for my ride and right hand crash with my TD 25. Works out great. Mounted the cymbal above my snare using the actual Roland rack.
Got the cymbals exactly where I need them. I too find the rack to be cumbersome. I was gonna use my Gibraltar stealth rack, but didn't need to.

73Rogers

Reaction score
Problem solved! Tropical storm Isias made me tear apart my drum room this week (no damage!) So, while things were apart, I took your suggestions and looked at the pieces i had to work with.
I took the bar that normally is the far left leg and made that the right side main post. That got the ride down low where I like it.
Then took what should have been the right post and made that the right side horizontal bar, giving me enough room to set up 2 FTs and still clear the ride.
Much more comfortable!
The only negatives are that the up tom could stand to be a little higher (but I'll live with it) and I need to come up with something to add a little support to the left bar that's holding the module as it now doesn't have a leg to stand on. :cool: That will be an easy fix.
Thanks again for all your advice and inspiration.

IMG_6111.jpg
IMG_6112.jpg