Roland SPD-30 vs SPD-sx vs Yamaha DTX Multipad

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
First of all, I've used many variations of the SPD. the 10/11/20/30. I also had the old sx for a minute. I've even had the Yamaha for a brief minute.

I loved my SPD pad's. I loved the 30 the least because of the size. The SX on board sounds didn't compare the others in it's serious/ And I have no interest in sampling. Getting a very good sound is of more interest to me. The Multipad sounded great as well but I found it's layout to be very confusing, maybe because I'd been a long time Roland SPD user.

So, I'd like some users of these devices to interject their opinions about each. Also, are there sample library's of the SX that are available? I'm not sure why I'm even considering the SX except, it's really the only thing I see pro's using on-stage. Are they using them for their sampling capabilities?

Here's an old shot of my SPD included in one of my gigging setu'sp from awhile ago.

IMG_1585.JPG

electrodrummer

Reaction score
Well, they're all different things.

The SPD-30 is a percussion module with pads stuck on it.
The SPDsx is a sampler with pads stuck on it.
The Multi12 is a full drum module (pretty much a DTX700) with pads stuck on it.

So it depends on what you're trying to achieve.

"Good" sound is subjective,

And stuff what you see "pro's" using on stage. Be your own drummer ;) I've seen people use Beats headphones and they're cr*p ;)

(here's Gaga's drummer, for example - two Multi12s)

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just sold off my entire e-drum kit but have been thinking about getting a multi-pad for percussion sounds. Like Dan, I noticed that many pro-level players are using the Roland SPD-SX. From the YouTube tutorials I've watched, it seems the main focus of this unit is to trigger loops, which I have no desire to do. I like the SPD-30 but it doesn't allow you to add sounds from online sample libraries. All three of these units, especially the Yamaha multipad, have been around a long time and probably could use some updating in terms of sounds and features. The new Alesis Strike Multipad looks promising but I wouldn't go that route until I knew it had the same reliability as Roland and Yamaha products.

electrodrummer

Reaction score
"have been around a long time and probably could use some updating in terms of sounds and features "
Sounds? You can add any sound like like! (bearing in mind most drummers seem to want to recreate 1958... ;) )
Features? Like what? Yes - in the case of the Multi12, you could arguably say "more memory", so - just hang a TM2 or SP404 off it for the ultimate flexibility (and still for less than the Roly or unproven Alesis)

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Well I decided to give the Yamaha another try. I like the size and I decided if I'm going to try to use it, I actually need to invest in some time into it. News at 11.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The simplicity of the sampling function and ease of the menu system is why I got the Roland. I see people using both very effectively tho

electrodrummer

Reaction score
Ease of menu system on the Multi12 can be very full-featured if you have one of those Apple things!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Guess what, I actually now have both. The Yamaha is played by my percussionist and I'm using gther SPD. Best of both worlds.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Well, after working with both, I’ve decided I prefer the Yamaha. 12 pads, 3 rows of 4. Also I find the editing of the parameters easier on the Yamaha...

So, now I’ve listed my SPD-30 on eBay and picked up a second DTXM12 for me to use. My percussionist in my Funk/R&B/Classic Rock is using my other DTXM12. Gonna be fun!

Latest posts