Roland SPD-SX... Took The Plunge

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I'm absolutely terrified of electronics! Not really terrified, but never willing to put in the time to become familiar enough to use on a regular basis. In a band now that is a once-in-a-lifetime project for me and we've all decided that we'd like to incorporate some electronic sounds in our mix.

After viewing and reviewing nearly every product on the market, and after much teeth-gnashing and hand-washing, I finally decided on the SPD-SX. Seems pretty intuitive. The guitar player in the band is a tech geek and loves challenges like this, so he's gonna help me out considerably. Not really gonna be using it for any advanced techniques... just wanted to have more electronic and traditional percussion sounds available without taking up a bunch of room.

Band is really excited about incorporating it and so am I. I went on the That Sound website and downloaded the "Gratis" percussion library. Looking forward to getting those sounds imported and getting this thing out in the music.

Any helpful hints or warnings? I'm a total newb at the electronic game, so I'll take any and all help I can get! Thanks!

Last edited:

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
first...its great that you have a band that supports it. I've had a hard time finding people who are interested.

it can be a little odd when you hit something and hear the sound coming from somewhere else.
try and keep your sounds at similar volume.
if you run a sequence or loop having a foot switch to kill it in case you/the band fall of the tempo can be cheap insurance.

I have a Sample Pad Pro. The Roland has some nice functions.

NickCesarz

Reaction score
Awesome! I have an SPD-SX as well. I have used it for.. I'd say four years now. It's still going strong. Mine did suffer the dreaded power failure problem a year or so back, but it magically went away (it's been in and out of many clubs and venues for the last few years). Crossing my fingers for now.

I wouldn't worry too much about that issue, but it is something that does seem to happen with some of them (Google 'spd-sx power problem' and you'll see what I'm talking about).

If you plan on using your SPD-SX at a show, you'll need a passive DI box. Sometimes the venue will provide them, otherwise, you'll have to get your own.

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, I ended up changing my mind at the last minute and went with the Nord Drum 3p. Took a hard look at what I’m wanting to accomplish by adding electronics and the Nord made more sense for me. Thanks for all the input on the Roland, fellas!

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well, I ended up changing my mind at the last minute and went with the Nord Drum 3p. Took a hard look at what I’m wanting to accomplish by adding electronics and the Nord made more sense for me. Thanks for all the input on the Roland, fellas!
So what are you trying to accomplish?

spazapproved

Reaction score
I just got mine a couple months ago also and I'm having a great time with it.
It's been a lot of fun to add some things.
I don't use it in full like some of these big pros.. I use it for simple tambourine loops and tempos.
Also for some bass drops and misc sound clips.

But a great add on for sure !

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So what are you trying to accomplish?

Good question, dtk! I guess I'm looking more to create new sounds rather than sample existing sounds. I know that’s fully achievable with the Roland but the Nord seems to be easier to manipulate on the fly. I’m also not going to be running loops or triggering anything. Ultimately, I felt that the Roland has too many features I won’t use. I also like the preset sounds in the Nord more than the Roland.

Last edited:

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Dan,

Sorry so late to respond. Don’t check this part of the forum very much. The Nord ended up not working out for me. The rubber pads were too hard for my hamfistedness... fingers, wrists and elbows all started to hurt as a result of playing it. Also, the limitless capabilities of the unit were just too much for my tiny little brain.

I need the sandbox defined for me. Inside the sandbox, I’m perfectly content, but put me out on the whole playground and I freeze up and don’t know what to do or where to go.

I ended up with a couple of the Roland SPD One pads (Electro and Percussion). Softer rubber pads and limited options, which is exactly what I need. Also, they don’t take any additional stands to mount, only a couple of clamps that fit more easily into my rig. Overall just a much better fit for me than the Nord.

Here is a pic of the Electro mounted off my hi-hat stand at a recent gig. Good 808 & 909 hand claps, finger snaps, electronic snare sounds, etc...

5A10E652-4552-46B6-B67F-180C58C35043.jpeg

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Hey Dan,

Sorry so late to respond. Don’t check this part of the forum very much. The Nord ended up not working out for me. The rubber pads were too hard for my hamfistedness... fingers, wrists and elbows all started to hurt as a result of playing it. Also, the limitless capabilities of the unit were just too much for my tiny little brain.

I need the sandbox defined for me. Inside the sandbox, I’m perfectly content, but put me out on the whole playground and I freeze up and don’t know what to do or where to go.

I ended up with a couple of the Roland SPD One pads (Electro and Percussion). Softer rubber pads and limited options, which is exactly what I need. Also, they don’t take any additional stands to mount, only a couple of clamps that fit more easily into my rig. Overall just a much better fit for me than the Nord.

Here is a pic of the Electro mounted off my hi-hat stand at a recent gig. Good 808 & 909 hand claps, finger snaps, electronic snare sounds, etc...

View attachment 401507
Me too. I love the Electro, but have recently gotten another SPD30 which is arriving soon. I also got a Yamaha DTXM12 which our percussionist will use. Here's a pic of my rig with the Electro.
34201963_10215695922898554_446823654169247744_n.jpg

Latest posts