Roland TD-17 KV Thoughts

NewVintage

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey y’all!

My wife and have a baby due in November. To allow for quiet practice time I’m considering e-kit. I’ve narrowed it down to the KV-S or KVX. If I go with the KV-S I’d look to add a 13” ride pad. So should I go with the KV-S or suck it up and get the KVX? I’d hoped to keep it around $1500 but the added features of the KVX are tempting. I’ve got minimal e-kit experience and it’d be used for practice only but often.

Or should I wait till after NAMM and see what Yamaha or even Roland debuts? :D

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you can afford the upgrade, I would go with the KVX because of the 13" ride cymbal and the VH-10 hi-hat pad that functions like an acoustic hi-hat, although you'll need to provide your own hi-hat stand.

Yamaha recently announced that are they are discontinuing their mid- and high-level DTX kits. There is speculation that they will be revamping their e-drum line-up but nothing firm has been announced, as far as I know. In the meantime you may be able to find a good deal on these discontinued kits.

NewVintage

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for the advice! I will do both, consider the KVX and look for some deals on the Yamahas :)

electrodrummer

Reaction score
Yamaha recently announced that are they are discontinuing their mid- and high-level DTX kits.
well, there was a rumour emanating from one dealer. Nothing from the horse.

But I'd certainly look at the DTXs as part of any buying process. Many many more features and less limitations than the TD.

Last edited:

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
well, there was a rumour emanating from one dealer. Nothing from the horse.

But I'd certainly look at the DTXs as part of any buying process. Many many more features and less limitations then the TD.
It is from the horse trust me. Every dealer got an e mail from Yamaha. The DX500 and up are gone, 400 remains and the are working on new models as we speak.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I recently picked up a DTX720K here on the forum for a great price. Lovin it. Here’s a track (my guitar players original. This is a scratch track for him before we record it with real drums) I recently did on it. BTW, I’m an old Roland guy (TD10) before giving up on ekits about 10 years ago.

NewVintage

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I recently picked up a DTX720K here on the forum for a great price. Lovin it. Here’s a track (my guitar players original. This is a scratch track for him before we record it with real drums) I recently did on it. BTW, I’m an old Roland guy (TD10) before giving up on ekits about 10 years ago.

Sounds great Dan!!! Thank you for the info!