Roland TD 17 KVX vs Roland TD 30KVX

renatosabato

Reaction score
Hey Drummer Friends,

I have visited some stores here in Brazil and I cam across two differente drum sets that interested me:
- Roland TD 17 KVX - new
- Roland TD 30 KVX - used, very good condition (close to new, the fact of being used doesn't bother me at all)

They are about the same price.
I wasn't able to figure out which one makes more sense to buy.

Does anybody have an specific point of view?
Thanks for any help :)

best,

Wideglyd

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have TD-17KVX I bought three years ago and I love it. The sounds are great and its pretty painless to use for what I’m doing with it. That being said I haven’t used the midi features yet as I use the kit for practicing later at night. I am about to start gigging with it for small coffee house, small venue gigs and looking forward to it. I’ve had zero problems with my TD-17. I have never tried the 30 KVX so I can’t give any input as to that kit. Depending on your need, I would say you can’t go wrong with either.

Attachments

electrodrummer

Reaction score
For me - if your decision is just between those two - then the TD30 - no evil proprietary cable snake ;)

But I suggest you download and read the manuals and compare features to see what fits your needs.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You can incorporate samples into the TD17 and there are several companies offering expansion packs.
Personally I think samples bring the Roland modules to life. You might feel differently I guess.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not sure about how the suffix letters change things but the TD-17 uses the Prismatic sound engine while the TD-30 uses the SuperNATURAL sound engine. I'm a big SuperNATURAL fan and would favor the TD-30. You should listen to both to see if you have a preference.

Super_Freak

Reaction score
Personally, I prefer the TD-30 sounds over the TD-17. The TD-17 is a mid-level Roland module whereas he TD-30 was the flagship before the TD-50 came out.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
TD17 is much cheaper and has quite a few expansion and sample packs available.
If you are happy to pay more and stick with the Roland on board sounds, then yes TD30

Super_Freak

Reaction score
TD17 is much cheaper and has quite a few expansion and sample packs available.
If you are happy to pay more and stick with the Roland on board sounds, then yes TD30
There are plenty of custom expansions kits available for the TD-30 as well from VExpressions, Drum-tec and others, and they sound great!

Also, the OP mentioned the price for the TD-17KVX (new) and the TD-30KVX (slightly used) are about the same.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of custom expansions kits available for the TD-30 as well from VExpressions, Drum-tec and others, and they sound great!
Sure, they just tweak the internal sounds though.
TD17, TD27 and TD50 allow sample import.
Not saying the OP shouldn't buy the TD30, I'm just saying for me it's not the 'no brainer' people keep claiming.

Super_Freak

Reaction score
Also, the TD-17KVX comes with small entry level, 8" tom pads (PDX-8) that have the weird outer plastic ring on the head. The TD-30KVX typically comes with 10" and 12" toms which are more realistic.

The TD-17KVX is a beginner to mid-range kit whereas the TD-30KVX (former flagship) has more pro features i.e. more inputs, more direct outs, better sound modelling capabilities, no cable snake. Did I mention more inputs....!

They both serve a purpose. Just food for thought.

renatosabato

Reaction score
Hey guys,

thank you so much for the answers! The candor and confidence of of those who were in favor of the TD 30 helped a lot!
I also had the same point of view that the TD 30 was much better. But since the price was about the same, I really had my eyebrows raised. But I tested the used TD 30, and it is in really good conditions.

I ended up going with the TD 30 :)

Thanks again

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
TD-30 is the best module Roland has produced. TD-50 may be newer but it doesn't sound as good. Too punchy and compressed. You can also layer sounds on the TD-30 using a midi loop. Cant do that on a TD-17 module. It has really opened up so many more possibilities on the TD-30 module.