Roland TD17KVX question

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me why some places advertise these sometimes as a TD17KVX-S? What the heck is the S for?

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looking at the specs, it appears to be identical to the TD17KVX. On another site someone speculated that the "S" represents "stand" (as in drum rack). I don't know if that's true or not since both the TD17KVX and the TD17KVX-S come with the same rack stand. I find Roland's kit labeling scheme to not be very intuitive, except for the module designation.

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looking at the specs, it appears to be identical to the TD17KVX. On another site someone speculated that the "S" represents "stand" (as in drum rack). I don't know if that's true or not since both the TD17KVX and the TD17KVX-S come with the same rack stand. I find Roland's kit labeling scheme to not be very intuitive, except for the module designation.
Thanks, I find it pretty confusing as well. I am going to order one but did not want to be surprised with something that I was not expecting.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If I were in your shoes I would consider waiting another month to see if anything new is being introduced at the Winter NAMM show. I've not heard of anything specific from Roland but some are speculating that a replacement for the TD-25 might be coming out, especially since we are currently seeing these kits being discounted by the major retailers. A replacement module would likely be positioned between the TD-17 and the TD-50 in terms of features. Just a thought.

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Probably true, but the price point will be well over 2K I would imagine. For my purposes (home practice only) I can get by with the 17KVX especially if I can get one between 1500-1600. Looks doable with a little effort.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You're probably right about the price. The TD-17 should be great for home practice. I enjoyed my e-kit when I had it, for quiet practice at home. Have fun!

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You're probably right about the price. The TD-17 should be great for home practice. I enjoyed my e-kit when I had it, for quiet practice at home. Have fun!
Thanks. Also I found from Roland that they use an "S" to signify kits in the US. Again, not obvious.