Rolling the Old K Dice!

poot

Penncrest Endorser
Reaction score
Sure has that old K look about it! Premierplayer repaired similar damage on an old '40s A. for me and did a marvelous job.

Good luck!

John

Reaction score
What is that, an underwater photo? I see major keyholing, but for the price plus shipping, you did alright! How may I ask do you "repair" major keyholing like that? I suppose you can jimmy together something on the cymbal holder post. Did the seller say it is keyholed PLUS some cracking on the bell?

4164SB

DFO Master
Reaction score
The best bet for making that cymbal playable will be to install a brass grommet with an exterior diameter the size of the interior of the original hole. I have no idea what else might be wrong with this one but the seller seems honest, just doesn't know anything about cymbals.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
i hope that works out for you. really, how could it not at that price. check this out though. when i viewed the auction it shows other cymbals for sale by the same seller. there is a cracked 15 listed. when you view that auction, it appears to be the exact same pic as the one you got. what do you think?

mike

4164SB

DFO Master
Reaction score
mlayton said:
i hope that works out for you. really, how could it not at that price. check this out though. when i viewed the auction it shows other cymbals for sale by the same seller. there is a cracked 15 listed. when you view that auction, it appears to be the exact same pic as the one you got. what do you think?
mike
Yep, he is aware of that and told me the 15" is an A. Zildjian. The guy is a little weird but I don't think he's dishonest.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
4164SB said:
The best bet for making that cymbal playable will be to install a brass grommet with an exterior diameter the size of the interior of the original hole. I have no idea what else might be wrong with this one but the seller seems honest, just doesn't know anything about cymbals.

check out some of Premierplayer's fixes... its a step beyond a grommet.

4164SB

DFO Master
Reaction score
Has not arrived as yet. Received an email today, he is "cleaning it up" and it should arrive next week.
:(

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
wow. glad you caught that. i bought three cymbals last month from a pawn shop and had lay-awayed them. there were gonna do the same. i would have been disappointed to say the least. i do not dig shiny cymbals.

mike

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ugh...the keyholing is obvious, but it's the crack I'm afraid of, because you can't see a damn thing from that picture. But then again, you didn't exactly break the bank to buy it, so why not? When you receive it, be sure to take some clear pics of it!

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
I also have a repaired keyhole by Glen (premierplayer). It's the perfect repair ... much better than just a grommet both in longevity and appearance. And no discernible difference in sound.

Robb

kerope

DFO Master
Reaction score
I remember seeing an old K with way more more keyholeing than that, in fact it was more like a letter box than a keyhole!!!

This was in Nodar's on 38th (34th) St and he was asking a $1000 for it. It sounded fantastic but man, there was so much alloy missing from the center of the cymbal!!!

As you guys say: Go figure!!!!!

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
The problem is, the pic is so blurry, all you can SEE is the keyhole...what if it has a 3" crack going outwards? Since he said there was a crack, but you can't see it at all, would make me hesitant to buy this...even at under $10. Hopefully the crack is minor and the visible keyholing is the only issue. :)

4164SB

DFO Master
Reaction score
The way I see it, if it's an old K and I don't like it, I'll sell it to someone overseas for a hefty profit!

4164SB

DFO Master
Reaction score
UPDATE: According to PayPal shipping and the seller the cymbal was shipped on 8/15, but the USPS tracking number does not show the item in their system.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
i run into that a lot with usps tracking system. nothing seems to show. overall i like their delivery process though. fed ex seems to have an amazing tracking system but the guy always leaves my package next door over.arghhh.

mike

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
Hey Mike .... at least he leaves it .... UPS in this area is so anal about stuff being left it's ridiculous.

My experience with USPS has always been good .... slow sometimes for no reason then back up to speed afterwards .... but dependable.

Robb

4164SB

DFO Master
Reaction score
It arrived after 13 days in the mail stream! 1542 grams and 17-7/8". Nice low wash with a prominent stick, not gongy like some small rides can be. Can anyone identify it's time period from the trade mark?