Rolling toolbox hack for drummers

mw13068

Reaction score
Most of the drummers I meet are "umm, okay..." about my playing, but love my transport system! :)

I've been gigging this way for the past 3 years or so. Only real problem is 1.) You need a vehicle that can fit the box, FT and BD, and 2.) If you've got to go up flights of stairs a lot, you'll be going piece by piece sometimes.

mw13068

Reaction score
How much does that case weigh when it's full?
Probably on the order of 50-80lbs. I have perfected a method of loading and unloading it from the back of my van solo -- by tipping one end up on the bumper, and lifting the other end and rolling it up and in. That's the only point where I have to lift any real weight, so I can do it carefully and methodically.

But a bandmate's help is never refused.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was curious what the case costs...$89 w/free delivery from Amazon...a bunji and and you might be able to take all at once.

mw13068

Reaction score
I was curious what the case costs...$89 w/free delivery from Amazon...a bunji and and you might be able to take all at once.
Yes, there are rails that would facilitate the bungee system (or bungee net, if I were going to). I have an irrational fear of one of my drums falling off and smacking the concrete if I were to try to bungee them. But my bungee-fu is not strong. :)

mw13068

Reaction score
Love the "Buzzo" sticker! He's quite a character in our small town.
Indeed. I grew up in Lakeville, a few miles from Geneseo. Loved going into Buzzo's as a kid. I should take a road trip to go back and see his shop, and then to the HoG, of course.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's cool but as we age, I think more of us appreciate the value of lighter hardware ensembles.

mw13068

Reaction score
That's cool but as we age, I think more of us appreciate the value of lighter hardware ensembles.
I agree. What I like about this system is that there's very little lifting. Mostly rolling. Common drum hardware can only ever be somewhat light-weight.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree. What I like about this system is that there's very little lifting. Mostly rolling. Common drum hardware can only ever be somewhat light-weight.
How often do you have to carry that up a flight or more of stairs?

mw13068

Reaction score
How often do you have to carry that up a flight or more of stairs?
With most venues being ADA compliant, not very often. Wheelchair access is a win for more than just wheelchairs. There are two places I play with small flights of steps, and I can heave it myself or get the singer to lift a $÷%#ing finger. ;) And let's face it, when there are stairs, no drummer is gliding up them, no matter what.

What brought me around to this way of doing things was a slight back injury while trying to carry my old hardware bag. As you well know, carrying a heavy bag throws one off balance, and compensation has to take place. *Then* you gotta walk fair distances that way... So yeah. I had an injury, and said "I'm not carrying anything I can roll."

Last edited:

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not terribly different from what I use. Yours might be a little sturdier and has wheels, but I've been using my beloved "box o'doom" now for over 20 years and It's never failed me. All my stands, pedals and sticks + my throne (seat and all). I think the tool box/foot locker is agreat idea.

Attachments

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
i've been using a rolling golf bag I found...but I like that I could use this to carry the snare and...maybe even a safer way to carry a multipad or electronics...thanks for sharing.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
With most venues being ADA compliant, not very often. Wheelchair access is a win for more than just wheelchairs. There are two places I play with small flights of steps, and I can heave it myself or get the singer to lift a $÷%#ing finger. ;) And let's face it, when there are stairs, no drummer is gliding up them, no matter what.

What brought me around to this way of doing things was a slight back injury while trying to carry my old hardware bag. As you well know, carrying a heavy bag throws one off balance, and compensation has to take place. *Then* you gotta walk fair distances that way... So yeah. I had an injury, and said "I'm not carrying anything I can roll."
- I hope this continues for you. Some of the calls I get require negotiating stairs.

73Rogers

Reaction score
They are $79 at Home Depot. They also have a Husky case for $69, but it's not rated for as much weight.
I had an SKB hardware case but I couldn't fit it in my car - it was like 54" long. Also tried the SKB golf club travel case and had a similar experience Now I just use a Galaxy bag with wheels for the hardware and make several trips.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
They are $79 at Home Depot. They also have a Husky case for $69, but it's not rated for as much weight.
I had an SKB hardware case but I couldn't fit it in my car - it was like 54" long. Also tried the SKB golf club travel case and had a similar experience Now I just use a Galaxy bag with wheels for the hardware and make several trips.
I use an SKB golf travel hard case and fortunately it does fit in the backseat of my car. That rolling hardware case is neat, but I like not having to break down all my stands beyond folding the legs.

Latest posts