Ron Spagnardi - Taking a Chance on Fish

Scott K Fish

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
1978_modern_drummer.jpg

SKF NOTE: This post was first published November 30, 2018. It was my 99th Piscataquis Observer newspaper column.

Looking back almost forty years I can’t imagine not crossing paths with Ron Spagnardi, founder and publisher of Modern Drummer magazine. We were both drummers, entrepreneurs. Ron in New Jersey, me in New York. At about age 34, Spagnardi saw the success of a ten-year old magazine devoted to guitarists, Guitar Player, and wondered, Why not publish a magazine devoted to drummers?

Next, Ron bought two small subscription ads. One in Down Beat magazine, and one ad in the New York Musician Union Local 802 newspaper. Spagnardi's ad copy was pretty basic, something like: Interested in subscribing to a new quarterly magazine exclusively for drummers? Send $10 to: Modern Drummer, 47 Harrison St, Nutley, NJ. (I don’t remember the exact amount for a subscription.)

These ads were Ron testing the waters. He told me he had a separate bank account for subscriber's money. If at least 2,000 people subscribed, Ron said, he could afford to publish the magazine. He didn’t know what he was doing was illegal. Without a Modern Drummer product, soliciting paid subscriptions was a no-no.

Spagnardi’s said his plan was, “If I don’t get at least 2,000 subscribers, I’ll send back their money.”

I was excited to subscribe to this new magazine for drummers. More than 1,999 other drummers and drum enthusiasts felt the same. Ron’s next task was figuring out how to publish a magazine — which he did.

Fish and Spagnardi crossed paths about a year later after Ron published an in-house ad seeking drummers interested in freelance writing for MD.

I submitted my letter and resume and — to my surprise and joy — was hired as a freelancer. Ron told me later he received plenty of requests from drummers with no writing experience, and writers with no drumming experience. I was the magic combination of drummer/writer.

Freelancing for MD opened for me a door to meet my drum heroes face-to-face. It was an opportunity far beyond seeing drum heroes in concert, asking them a question or two at drum clinics. I felt as if I was holding the key to a treasure chest. And in many ways I was.

My March 8, 2015 blog entry describes my first in-person meeting with Ron.

"I first met...Ron Spagnardi probably in the summer of 1978. MD‘s office was the basement of the Spagnardi home.... MD was still a quarterly publication. Nothing fancy about the basement. I remember it as an unfinished basement with desks, tables, and lighting sufficient to produce and ship a magazine. MD Features Editor Karen Larcombe was there. So was Ron’s father, Leo Spagnardi, handling shipping and receiving. Carol Padner and Jean Mazza were responsible for MD‘s circulation."

By then, Ron had published my first two freelance MD interviews, using my Carmine Appice interview as MD’s October 1978 cover story.

“Ron seemed a bit apprehensive about what I might be thinking of MD‘s office/basement. But, I thought it was all great and exciting,” I wrote in my blog.

My first freelance MD drummer interview with Mel Lewis turned inside out everything I believed about becoming a pro drummer. It literally prompted a total reassessment of my lifelong goal. Depressing, frightening, and necessary.

In October 1980 Ron Spagnardi’s hired me as MD’s Managing Editor.

The job was fun, full of opportunities, lousy pay, living in a rooming house. I wouldn’t trade the experience for the world.

I left MD, October 1983, having written 48-percent of MD’s feature stories plus my managing editor tasks. And MD grew to 12 issues a year, from 9 issues when I was hired.

Ron, I think, would say I earned my keep. We remained friends. I am forever grateful to Ron Spagnardi, for taking two chances: One on publishing a drummer magazine, and one on hiring me to help him.

SKF Blog - Life Beyond the Cymbals - https://scottkfish.com/2021/01/18/ron-spagnardi-taking-a-chance-on-fish/

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you took the opportunity, and ran with it.
Congrats.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very interesting recollection and that's always been my very favorite MD cover, but this is a bit confusing. You note at the top that This post was ...my 99th Piscataquis Observer newspaper column

so as expected, it's written in the first person until we get to this:

Fish and Spagnardi crossed paths about a year later....

And then we're back to the original first person for the duration of the article. Why do you refer to yourself in the third person?

Scott K Fish

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
re: third person. I must've liked the way that sentence sounded. I'm also prone to rewriting when possible. That sentence is a likely candidate.

Best,
skf

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to love playing the song with the Tune Tailors (the originals like a Four Freshman) gig..

SKF your title 'inspired --->

~~~~~~~~

You know I notice writers at Car and Driver magazine (subscriber since oh 1967..) how they come and and go and sometimes come back in later years...
that's a very inspirational creative job being a writer. Enjoyed all your articles and your tenure
at that magazine
how is T. Bruce Whittet doing and have you keep in touch with the others that wrote at that time

Last edited:

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those 70’s issues were the best! They were just so unique and the articles and ads were read cover to cover 100 times over for me. It was the same thing I did with Ludwig, Slingerland or Gretsch Catalogs when they arrived in the mail. I could not go anywhere without them.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
A life well-lived, Scott! And we are glad you answered curiosity and interest's call.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those 70’s issues were the best! They were just so unique and the articles and ads were read cover to cover 100 times over for me. It was the same thing I did with Ludwig, Slingerland or Gretsch Catalogs when they arrived in the mail. I could not go anywhere without them.
Just the 70s ??

I read my 70/80/90/00 cover to cover 100 times each ...
I used to be able to map life events on what issue MD was that month and year ....

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you don't mind explaining , what about the Mel Lewis interview caused you to rethink things?

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
" The job was fun, full of opportunities, lousy pay, living in a rooming house. I wouldn’t trade the experience for the world. "

So, basically it was like playing music for a living....................