Ronnie James Dio Drummers

Reaction score
Dio Had Several Drummers Cozy Powell Bill Ward Vinny Appice Simon Wright All Contributed and very well talented drummers but who are your guys favorite drummer to Back Ronnie?

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Vinny's work with DIO on his solo records is the stuff of legends. His playing was just so good, along with his sound. To me, his drums always sounded like they were set up right on the wood floor and had an incredible sound. His edgy chops and feel still blow my mind. That said, I love all the drummers listed above. I loved Cozy with Rainbow on those classic 70s records and I loved Bill Ward with Sabbath, especially his playing and sound on Heaven and Hell. Simon Wright is a great player in his own right (no pun), but he had the unfortunate disposition of playing with both DIO and AC/DC in their low years, so his legacy isn't what it should be. He is a fine player as well.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Vinny's work with DIO on his solo records is the stuff of legends. His playing was just so good, along with his sound. To me, his drums always sounded like they were set up right on the wood floor and had an incredible sound. His edgy chops and feel still blow my mind. That said, I love all the drummers listed above. I loved Cozy with Rainbow on those classic 70s records and I loved Bill Ward with Sabbath, especially his playing and sound on Heaven and Hell. Simon Wright is a great player in his own right (no pun), but he had the unfortunate disposition of playing with both DIO and AC/DC in their low years, so his legacy isn't what it should be. He is a fine player as well.
I have to agree - Vinny is also my favorite with DIO. He has a certain swing to his playing that you just don’t get with other metal drummers. His groove on “Stand Up And Shout” is just crazy good.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
What more can be said, when I think Dio, I think Vinnie Appice. I spent many an hour with Holy Diver in my Sony Walkman delivering news papers listening to that tape

Much respect to Vivian Campbell for the guitar work on that album. Also legend.

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Appice for sure, that was Dio’s best era. He had a unique sound and was using concert toms long after they were out of style.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No question here: Vinnie - Jimmy - Vivian - Claude, that classic lineup is tremendous! The first three Dio albums, to me, are all classics (Holy Diver, Last in Line, Sacred Heart).

I only saw Dio once, in 2003, on a bill with Iron Maiden and Motorhead. Absolutely, hands down, the best metal show I've ever seen in my life.

bubo

Reaction score
Appice!
Once more here, +Campbell, Bain, Schnell as stated before.
When i started drumming i hit the hell out of my set playing along to the first 3 DIO albums, as well as Live Evil and Mob Rules.
Vinny been a big influence to my drumming and still is. His hard hitting yet musical playing is still catching.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
No question here: Vinnie - Jimmy - Vivian - Claude, that classic lineup is tremendous! The first three Dio albums, to me, are all classics (Holy Diver, Last in Line, Sacred Heart).

I only saw Dio once, in 2003, on a bill with Iron Maiden and Motorhead. Absolutely, hands down, the best metal show I've ever seen in my life.
Ha! I saw that same show in Hartford, CT. $20 lawn seats - killer show.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm old. When I think of Dio, I think of Elf. And when I think of Elf, I think of Gary Driscoll - a most incredible drummer. Very musical and muscular, with chops up the ... you know. Dynamic band, great drummer.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ha! I saw that same show in Hartford, CT. $20 lawn seats - killer show.
Crazy to think that Ronnie and Lemmy are dead. 2/3rds of that amazing bill can’t ever exist again. So glad I went. I’ve loved Vinny’s drumming from when I first heard Last in Line in 1984.

plumbndrum

Reaction score
I'm old. When I think of Dio, I think of Elf. And when I think of Elf, I think of Gary Driscoll - a most incredible drummer. Very musical and muscular, with chops up the ... you know. Dynamic band, great drummer.
Gary Driscoll also played on "Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow" which, to me, is the quintessential Ronne James Dio album.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
When I think of DIO I only think of the band DIO. Vinny all the way!!

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Vinnie is the one I think of with Dio. I love his fills. Stand up and Shout is a great "windows down, stereo up" rocker. I also love Vinnie's Black Sabbath contributions. Mob Rules is one of my favorite all time records.

I only saw Dio once, in 1998 at a club in Rantoul, IL that used to be a bowling alley. Simon Wright was drumming for him and it was the single loudest show I've ever endured. Too loud to enjoy. Like they brought a stadium PA to a bar that held 200-300 tops.

Latest posts