Ronnie James Dio Drummers

MidiFinger

Reaction score
Vinnie's work on Holy Diver is phenomenal. Dio really screwed the musicians on the first three albums. You can hear Vivian Campbell talk about it on YouTube. Dio knew he screwed those guys over and I believe Karma caught up to him.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Watching that interview with Vinny. Never knew he MCSE, CCNA and CCNP certified! Interesting to hear about his side business as a computer tech for medical offices and whatnot.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Vinnie's work on Holy Diver is phenomenal. Dio really screwed the musicians on the first three albums. You can hear Vivian Campbell talk about it on YouTube. Dio knew he screwed those guys over and I believe Karma caught up to him.

You know, you hear more and more about backing musicians really get F'd over by band leaders. I know it's probably a Time Old Tradition. I lost a lot of respect for Billy Joel after hearing how he treated former and current band members. One actually committed suicide (he had lost everything). It's pitiful to think that one person makes a band. Such BS.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love Dio , I was watching a few interviews with him and he seemed I dunno .
Like a jerk ??
He certainly didn’t mind talking smack about Vivian Campbell .

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Everything you read and hear about Dio is that he was a nice guy, but yes, sometimes he comes off as a jerk, short man disease? I don’t know.
Yeah , I know I’ve always thought in my mind he was a nice guy , Danggitt I hate to hear he didn’t pay fairly though ......
Would I pay fairly ? I really don’t know .
Wellcrud, I find myself self in quite the conundrum...

Otherwise , I did spend time on this tonite . Been trying it for years ; just can’t get it

drummerfish

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
so far it looks like vinnie is the winner.

i love cozy, i like simon with ac/dc, i like bill for what he did with sabbath then with RJD (for me he just seemed good enough for what they needed at the time) but when vinnie came along he just opened the band up so much. then playing IN dio he seemed like the perfect fit.

quick story: when i was working at a music store in the 90's vinnie did a drum clinic. he brought russ parish (then with "fight", now with steel panther) and i believe the bass player from "fight'. he used one of the stores tama kits, and he was LOUD. not the band...HE was loud. he hit so hard that even with ear plugs i had to move to the back of the seating area.

he was super cool to everyone and he's still a great drummer in everything he does.

Skeet6

Reaction score
I followed to this after playing the above link. Gotta love these industry guys ... "Too loud! TOO LOUD!"
Vinny takes it like a gentleman, lol.
Mike B

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
When you mess with the original lineup and that original chemistry and Mojo...you end up screwing yourself. He never recovered the original magic with other musicians nor did he write any material that even came close. That original band with Vivian, Vinny, Jimmy, and Dio was lightning in a bottle.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As a single bass drummer, Vinny was a big influence on me, especially on Mob Rules. I copied a lot of his chops back then. I caught Sabbath on the Mob Rules tour and also Heaven and Hell in the 2000s and he played and sounded great both times.