Rosewood Snare Shootout!

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Finally got around to doing a somewhat better video than my usual cell phone videos of these incredible 3 drums. The hats ended up coming through way more than I wanted, but hopefully you guys get the idea. Please excuse my horrible playing. I'm the worst at solo videos and my playing shows.

I wanted to compare these 3 snares just for fun. Having 3 Rosewood 14x6.5 snares seems a bit redundant, but after this video, I think all 3 are justified.

The 8 lug Pork pie really surprised me. It's phenomenal. All 3 are, as I will always say though. I was planning on testing this one and moving it for a mahogany snare, but this one did the tuning I've been looking for perfectly. Maybe it's the Emperor side snare head, but it's much deeper and ringy than the other 2. This is the perfect sound for this smaller kit of mine. I'll swap between it and the Cherry/Bubinga Pork Pie for this kit. I've got a die cast top hoop coming to see how it works as well. Very pleased and don't think I need a mahogany now!

The Solid Shell FROM Cask and Pork seems to be the one I'll use for big stages. It has the most volume by far, and is the cleanest sounding. The solid shell really shines when you directly compare. Not sure if it comes through on the video, but it cuts more than my bell brass. Not as sensitive as the other 2 which surprises me still.

The Pearl Masterworks seems to have something from both of the previous 2, and the most versatile. I could use this on my small kit, or the Beauford and be fine. It's the most sensitive and the easiest to tune. Just an all around stunning drum, visually and sonically.

Let me know what you guys think!

20200803_130433.jpg

mcirish

Reaction score
I have to say I like the first one best. it had more body to it. Most likely due to the triple flange hoops on it as opposed to the cast hoops on the others. It was more open sounding to my ears.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My impression of the three rosewoods in your video (I like em all) (they all share a similarity (proof (doh) they're all Rosewood) .. is one word...

Tulip.

They sound & smell (?!) and their note is... Tulip-shaped.
Quite nice.
in all three, I heard "Tulip"
All remarkably similar.

Last edited:

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I think I liked the steam bent Pork Pie best as well. That said, they are all superb instruments. Great job with the tuning on all of them - your snares always sound very lively and crisp.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Overall, I like the 1st one the best. I think your custom Steambent Pork Pie looks the coolest. Great lacquer job on that one too...and I liked the Pearl the best with the snare wires off, very tribal and exotic. I thought that was going to be my one but then something happened with the snare wires came one.

Great playing by the way.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to hear the Pearl with triple flanged hoops. I think it might be my favorite between them if it did. Otherwise, I can't pick. I like the openness of the first one, the second drum had this clarity of tone I thought was nice, and the Masterworks was a really solid drum overall. I think I'm just more of a triple flange guy.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I also wonder how much the emperor side head is affecting the Pork Pie. I was going to replace it automatically with an ambassador, but as good as it sounds right now, I think I'll leave it be. Very surprised at how well it responds with that reso.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Added a die cast top this weekend to the 8 lug Pork. Not sure if it changed much on this drum. May put it on my acro instead. This drum performed incredibly at church Sunday. Absolutely a great snare along with my cherry bubinga for this kit I'm using it on.

Also found out from Bill it was a 1 off. So now 2 1 off Pork Pies I have!

Last edited: