Rosewood Superstar 6.5x14

Corbin L Douthitt

Reaction score
Badge has no serial #. And two tacks in it. It was this way when I bought it in ‘98-2000. Any ideas?

Attachments

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Based on the other hardware, I’d say 1982-84. I think ‘85-86 they started having a rubber grip on the throw. Badge might have been changed out, which means hardware also could be switched. Definitely an early-mid 80’s Mastercraft rosewood, great snares!

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Only addressing the badge, it's a post 1984 style badge with the "slanted" T. Interesting that the grommet covers part of where a serial number would be. That certainly wouldn't be normal. So either the grommet is flared too wide, it's too big, or the badge is a reproduction? It would not be inconceivable that it was never stamped. The tacks could have been one owner's way of getting curled up edges to lie flatter.

I'd lean towards a repro badge as the black to silvering outlining of this badge varies from typical 1976-1986 Superstars and also from the badging using on the more recent Superstar Classics....especially in the ovaling around the stem of the "T" on each side. It's very different.

Last edited:

bubo

Reaction score
What does the grommet look like at the inside?

Also the distances from hoops to the lugs does not look equal on both sides.

Did you ever measure the depth of the shell when you switched heads, is it full 6,5"?

Has the bearing edge(s) been messed with -especially on the top side?

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks like a badge from a concert tom.
Dan

Every 1977-1986 Tama concert tom I've ever seen (and I've owned about 40 of them) has had the wide rectangular badge with a single nail hole on each side. They also don't state the model line of the drum (ie Superstar, Imperialstar, etc.). The square "T" badges like the OP has are placed on the double headed toms and those almost always list the model name of the drum.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Every 1977-1986 Tama concert tom I've ever seen (and I've owned about 40 of them) has had the wide rectangular badge with a single nail hole on each side. They also don't state the model line of the drum (ie Superstar, Imperialstar, etc.). The square "T" badges like the OP has are placed on the double headed toms and those almost always list the model name of the drum.
It's certainly unusual.

Dan

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
The badge is missing black paint in each corner where the tacks are and it appears that this detail is the way it was made. I have never seen one like that.

Edit. Well what do you know. Found one on Reverb. No idea if it is a repro but I do seem to recall seeing Tama drums at the time with badges on two sides so the badge would be visible no matter which way it was mounted.

tama T badge for tacks.JPG

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thin Shell, I have seen that "second" badge once before as well on a local Superstar kit CL ad mid-last year. But didn't know what to make of it....added or fake or real? I was clear that the extra badge had no vent hole. I had never seen one like that before. But, wasn't sure I might not be seeing an altered drum. Never went to see that kit up close. So I guess at the end of the run Tama may have been placing another badge on their toms. Either way they are rarely seen. The fact that this no serial number badge has a grommet through it is EXTRA strange. Maybe it was a short trial on these 2nd badges? I don't recall seeing Crestars or Granstars with 2 badges.

Last edited:

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I might be mistaken about the second badge but I seem to remember having seen them somewhere back in the day. I also looked and found another couple of that style on ebay. The first generation Artstar badges were tacked on just like these badges so it's not out of the realm of possibility. I looked at every Tama catalog online from the Superstar era and couldn't fine one picture with this type of badge.

One this is for sure, the tacked on badge was not designed to have a grommet so something is up with the OPs badge. It could be possible that Tama ran out of the regular ones and sent some drums out with this badge.

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recall that at some time in the 80s, Tama would include an extra badge for the mounted toms that the owner could install on their own, if they were particular about badges facing forward on toms ( think 13", which could be on the left or right). Clearly no hole, and they had the 4 tacks as well.

bubo

Reaction score
I recall that at some time in the 80s, Tama would include an extra badge for the mounted toms that the owner could install on their own, if they were particular about badges facing forward on toms ( think 13", which could be on the left or right). Clearly no hole, and they had the 4 tacks as well.
This.

Latest posts