Rotator cuff surgery and pain length

Hank

Reaction score
Hi, I had rotator cuff surgery four weeks ago. Can anyone share their experience and how much time the pain lasts? I still have pain, but it is decreasing.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone's situation is unique. I had arthroscopic rotator cuff surgery 21 years ago; afterwards they told me that once they got in there they didn't have to repair a lot — mostly 'clean-up' work. As a result I had no post-operative pain at all (never had to take as much as an aspirin) and only a few sessions of physical therapy. I recommend checking with your doctor to make sure that your recovery is on track.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi, I had rotator cuff surgery four weeks ago. Can anyone share their experience and how much time the pain lasts? I still have pain, but it is decreasing.
It varies person to person. PT is everything following RC surgery. Preferably and PT who specializes in sports rehab.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 weeks and you still have pain?
Contact your doctor ASAP!

I had a pretty severe tear. I was only on "the good stuff" for 24 hours and then Tylenol for a couple of days. I didn't really use it after that even with the PT.

Hank

Reaction score
Really? I experience pain when I take off the sling to take a shower or when I try to accommodate the sling.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? I experience pain when I take off the sling to take a shower or when I try to accommodate the sling.
Pain or discomfort?

There's a difference with this surgery.

If you are having PAIN - especially this long after surgery, see the doctor.
If it is discomfort, Tylenol can ease it.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You are toward the end of the worst. I had my left shoulder RC tear anchored back down a few years ago and they gave me one of those chilled wrap devices to help with the painful initial three week period of NO MOVEMENT ALLOWED!!! After that my shoulder was frozen requiring a month and a half of grueling PT.
Once the sling comes off and you begin to regain strength and range of motion everything will loosen up and soon be good as new!

FlowTom

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both my roto cuffs are goofed up and at the point where there's no good reason to just keep administering steroid shots.
They just have to decide which one to do first.
In the meantime, I'm enjoying the benefits.
No one asks me to play keeper at weekend old men's soccer games.
No one asks me to get "more serious about the bass" and start playing upright.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
After getting my torn left supraspinatus tendon stapled back down in '17 all was well until I foolishly threw 7/8 rocks as hard as I could....without warming up....at age 69.... with my right arm. A few days later I thought I'd torn the right one. That was last July. I got x-rays and an MRI and it isn't torn per se. They say I have arthritis. I guess I just totally stretched and traumatized the whole shoulder joint capsule. It felt almost as bad as the tear in my left one.
After finding out it's not torn I started doing PT on my own seeing as how I'd learned the ropes in '17 and it's steadily getting better. A LONG process to be sure but I'm no spring chicken either.

Patrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've had both my shoulders done. Pain wasn't a constant for me after about 4 days. I could easily induce pain driving, reaching up, etc. That calmed down with time and PT. Racked up shoulders can really mess with your sleep. Good luck.

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had both done, and did serious PT each time. I’m a cry baby tho . The PT is important. You didn’t say if you were doing it ?
It took me a long time to get range of motion back but I eventually did. I had a frozen shoulder w one and it was rough,
It does pass. The docs are really very good typically with the procedures