Roto Toms Remo V cheapo

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just curious how a Pearl ISS mount
would hold a 14" roto-tom.
Ive tried to upload a pic, but no matter how much I resized the pic I can't get
the upload to work.

By the looks of it, either the ISS mount will break or the roto-tom's drum head hoop could get bent out of shape due to the weight of the roto-tom along with me playing it.
So, I guess I'll just have to mount it With a multi-clamp.

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
14roto_with_Pearl-ISS.jpg

My Pic finally uploaded.

All that weight of my 14" roto is resting onto the edge of the Pearl ISS mount.
I would rather use a multi clamp instead.

vsp39o2

Reaction score
Yeah, I DO think this song is about me. SO?
Kinda late to this thread, but FWIW, I have 10, 12, 14, and 16 Rototoms up on RIMS (real ones) when i set up my 80's Terry BruHalen kit. I put em on tom stands starting between the 2 bass drums and working to my right (your left). Floor toms to accompany these are 18 n 20

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My 16" Weiss roto arrived yesterday evening via UPS. That was really quick,
from PA to NY.

16WEISSroto.jpg

The roto came with its own double-braced stand, a rachet mount, a 6" rail bar, and a generic single-ply drum head.
All that, for $169 brand spanking new! Awesome deal indeed!

I'm glad I shopped at Weiss Music.
Because I was gonna blow almost 2/3 of my paycheck on a Used 16" Remo roto-tom at Reverb that had no accessories or stands to go with it.

Next week I will get a 12" roto
from Weiss Music.

fibes3

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
from PA to NY.

View attachment 531688

The roto came with its own double-braced stand, a rachet mount, a 6" rail bar, and a generic single-ply drum head.

Because I was gonna blow almost 2/3 of my paycheck on a Used 16" Remo roto-tom at Reverb that had no accessories or stands to go with it.

from Weiss Music.
Nice score!
They sold me a Rototom adapter and it arrived in a few days to California. Great service.

I only wished they made an 18" rototom.

Cheers!

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice score!
They sold me a Rototom adapter and it arrived in a few days to California. Great service.

I only wished they made an 18" rototom.

Cheers!
I agree with you about the 18" roto, Weiss needs to make it.
A few days ago a used Remo 18 roto was listed at Reverb for close to $400 for just the roto itself.
It got sold; but if I had that kind of cash to spend I would have bought it, or I'd add extra chumpchange and request Weiss to make one for me... man, I would probably have to have Dave Grohl clout to get Weiss to make one for me.

I like the modern ratchet mount and the aluminum rail bar that's included with the Weiss roto-toms...

However, I'm experimenting other ways to mount the roto-tom.
I'm adding coupler nuts to the head of the carriage bolt, and then clamping it inside a Gibraltar Power Rack clamp where a cymbal boom would usually go.

Another idea I have is to suspend the roto from a Pearl ISS mount.
The downside of that is the ISS could warp or break from the combined weight of the roto and the drummer wailing
on it.

Gibraltar makes hoop mounts that are similar to the Pearl ISS, but additional support is added to the tension rods almost halfway around the rim.
A 16 or 18 roto can be suspended from a floor tom hoop/leg device that has an outer rim.

Someone who thinks it through and carefully plans it out could DIY a really good system for mounting and/or suspending roto-toms.

Search "roto-tommmount" at Reverb,
and you will find a dude there who machines his own set of knurled bolt roto-tom mounts that will be at home inside a cymbal boom clamp.
The head of the machined roto-tom mount looks like a BMX peg.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
from PA to NY.

View attachment 531688

from Weiss Music.

Any noticeable differences in the overall build quality of the Weiss Music vs. the Remo?

RobbiefromAtlanta

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree with you about the 18" roto, Weiss needs to make it.
A few days ago a used Remo 18 roto was listed at Reverb for close to $400 for just the roto itself.
It got sold; but if I had that kind of cash to spend I would have bought it, or I'd add extra chumpchange and request Weiss to make one for me... man, I would probably have to have Dave Grohl clout to get Weiss to make one for me.

I like the modern ratchet mount and the aluminum rail bar that's included with the Weiss roto-toms...

However, I'm experimenting other ways to mount the roto-tom.
I'm adding coupler nuts to the head of the carriage bolt, and then clamping it inside a Gibraltar Power Rack clamp where a cymbal boom would usually go.

Another idea I have is to suspend the roto from a Pearl ISS mount.
The downside of that is the ISS could warp or break from the combined weight of the roto and the drummer wailing
on it.

Gibraltar makes hoop mounts that are similar to the Pearl ISS, but additional support is added to the tension rods almost halfway around the rim.
A 16 or 18 roto can be suspended from a floor tom hoop/leg device that has an outer rim.

Someone who thinks it through and carefully plans it out could DIY a really good system for mounting and/or suspending roto-toms.

Search "roto-tommmount" at Reverb,
and you will find a dude there who machines his own set of knurled bolt roto-tom mounts that will be at home inside a cymbal boom clamp.
The head of the machined roto-tom mount looks like a BMX peg.
Man I like those machined mounts. I have my Rotos mounted using coupler nuts and locking washers that attach to DW Dogbones. Does the job.

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll continue reporting my experience
with these Weiss rotos, as this will be my first time using them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hop

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Now I've started making my own rack mount for my rotos.

The two Gibraltar Power Rack clamps at the ends will attach the aluminum pipe to my cymbal stand posts.
The middle Gibraltar clamp will secure
my 14" roto-tom to the pipe.
I'll add one or two more Gibraltar power clamps to the pipe for the 10" and 12" roto-tom.
My 16" roto will be on its own stand.

The aluminum pipe is from an Onstage A-frame synthesizer rack.
I sold the rack several years ago, and kept the spare pipe for a purpose someday... that day has arrived, lol.

rack.jpg

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tried to mount the roto to the Gibraltar clamp, but the carriage bolt is too narrow...

111.jpg

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 26

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It seems like the remo's are getting harder to find. We just sold a 14'' without stand to the US.
This one here is the 14 roto that I bought earlier this week ...

Remo 14" Roto Tom, MINT, Barely Played, Black Enamel Finish https://reverb.com/item/46861492?ut...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=46861492

I honestly don't know why the Remo rotos are hard to find, especially in sizes 12" and up.

I would joke and say that either Terry Bozio, Neil Peart, Alex Van Halen, or Bill Bruford probably bought them all, lol...
...but that's not the case.

Remo roto-toms are nostalgic.
While they were visually appealing,
many Rock and Fusion drummers have managed to make them sound really good for their era.
The Remo roto-toms are quite versatile, you can remove their heads and play the spoke frames like bell chimes.
The larger roto-toms chime quite loudly.
I also think that if you hit the Spokes to chime them loud, excessively, the spokes could crack over time.

Roto-toms are high maintenance creatures... you'd have to routinely polish them to keep them clean and shiney, and free of dirt and oxidation.

Well, I've spent a lot of money to have my roto-toms ... therefore I intend to keep them for a very long time

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tony,
Nice fix!
Does the collar lock prevent the tom from rotating?
I stacked 2 coupler nuts (3/8, coarse thread) and tightened them all the way down to the head of the carriage bolt, and secured a collar lock on top of the coupler nuts to keep them from turning loose... this is so that I can mount them to a Gibraltar power rack clamp when the time comes to install the aluminum rack pipe.

For now, I have the 10" and 14" rotos suspended with Pearl ISS tom mounts attached to my cymbal stands.
And my 16" roto-tom is the floor tom,
mounted to a spare cymbal stand and positioned low for me to play it as a floor tom.

I'm using 2ply clear drum heads with an additional 3rd ply (cut from old drum heads) to fatten their sounds.
Eventually I'll need to figure out which drum heads are best for these large roto-toms in my garage-rock band;
because I don't want these roto-toms to sound so tympanic in that traditional Roto-tom aspect.