outta the brain stem.
whats that called. A wash.

thank goodness God made it so
we can only play one at a time.
There's no melding.

actually the Rough Ride sounds newer.
SC more old-fashioned.
What year were each introduced?

Yeah that right there sounds like a 20 year development difference.

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah. I have to say....I still love me some SCDR....but that RR.....I love it too..

maybe I love it more.

Can a guy have an affair with TWO women at the same time?

ZEN can tell you when they were introduced

SCDR/Dark Ride is something like 1979?

Rough Ride is like 1989 or early 90s?

I will be interested to see if any DFO members like the RR better

I just keep coming back to that SCDR....it is so mellow and drier and sweet.....the woody stick....it takes a little finesse to crash...but I know I how...I have learned

I love the RR shank and crash and feel of it.....

they are both beautiful

yeah....RR is supposed to be modernized version of SCDR

Butch1970

Reaction score
On their own I kinda prefer the sound of the RR and could be very happy with it, but at times the SCDR sounded like maybe it blended better with the music. Do they feel similar under the stick?

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
EDIT

THE SCDR is a lot softer under the stick. Its drier and mellower.

The Signature has a harder stick and the stick is a little more separated. Its almost like the cymbal is hollow. Like and oreo sandwich with no filling.

THe RR is still soft though in its own way...and has give....its hard to explain. Its really fun to play. I love the paiste signature line in part because of how they feel...they have some give to them....

The SCDR is different...nothing like it....its a magical cymbal. So is the RR.

My bosphorus hammer is really brittle and hard under the stick

My sabian manhattans are like butter

My K dark medium is soft and chocolatey under the stick...

The sabian legacy heavy is stiff....no my cup of tea. It sounds great but....I had a first run one many moons ago...that I should have kept. It had no finish on it. This one …which is brand new....seems to have a coating on it.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
good lawyer never asks question he doesn't already know answer to.
I think you've gotten to the bottom of the Paiste Mystery.
Wait a second. Shiner's playing Bosphorus/!?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Interesting comparison, they ARE really similar (much more than I would have thought.) In fact (if it were me) too similar to keep both. To use a "Joe/car" analogy...

No need to keep a BMW, Lexus, and a Benz all in the garage. Keep the one that gives you goosebumps, then get a Landrover or an Escalade (for the snowy days,) and a good ol' American muscle car for those "high testoscerone" days. And always keep a Japanese import in the driveway to loan the kids or run errands in.

Please excuse me if the analogy doesn't quite work, I ain't a car guy, but I think you know what I mean. Nice comparison. But if you had put a nice SCDR chimey shank in the comparison, that would have sealed the deal, you can't get THAT sound anywhere else. Personally, I think you were closest to "cymbal happiness" when you had a set of old A's, a set of Bosphorus', and the SCDR set.

Yeah I can hear Keltner putting a bunch of rivets in a Rough and playing it with that big 16" Rototom over his hi hats, or with his kit of all snares and no toms. Love that guy!

MSG

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I hear more bell overtones in the SCDR, and more "tah" midrange with the RR. The RR fills more space, more 60s TW K in there, but the SCDR has a sweeter presence. It also might project better. Not what you need that on soft gigs, but the SCDR worked on Miles electric gig, the RR, this one, to my ears would have almost disappeared in that context. Listen on real small speakers to hear what I mean.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ill tell you.
Ive ownedsome "horrible " rough rides and scdr...

Paiste consistency is not
Interesting comparison, they ARE really similar (much more than I would have thought.) In fact (if it were me) too similar to keep both. To use a "Joe/car" analogy...

No need to keep a BMW, Lexus, and a Benz all in the garage. Keep the one that gives you goosebumps, then get a Landrover or an Escalade (for the snowy days,) and a good ol' American muscle car for those "high testoscerone" days. And always keep a Japanese import in the driveway to loan the kids or run errands in.

Please excuse me if the analogy doesn't quite work, I ain't a car guy, but I think you know what I mean. Nice comparison. But if you had put a nice SCDR chimey shank in the comparison, that would have sealed the deal, you can't get THAT sound anywhere else. Personally, I think you were closest to "cymbal happiness" when you had a set of old A's, a set of Bosphorus', and the SCDR set.

Yeah I can hear Keltner putting a bunch of rivets in a Rough and playing it with that big 16" Rototom over his hi hats, or with his kit of all snares and no toms. Love that guy!

MSG
Thats great.

Check out 1:46-1:48

I do two shanks on each. Maybe they were not loud enough.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Seb.
I was listening in my car wifi on the way to work

Yeah...I was hearing Tony Williams old k...stick on top of smoke spread complex wash...

I cant wait to play it on my gig Sunday night.

The leader is my tenor player friend who taught jazz at University in Germany for 20 years....

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here's a Thing I'm gonna bring up..

When I got my " New" ---well they were New Old Stock sitting in the gretsch warehouse (vinyard)---- Gretsch gunmetal Broadkasters.

The cymbals I had been using for years ----I of course used with my--- "New" set of drums...

ok ok ok for awhile but sumpthin was missing. Sumpthing wasn't matching. Sumpthin (something) didn't match.

I discovered by happenstance I needed a change of cymbals to "match" the new drums.

To this day I can't play my "old cymbals' with the new set. (Well I "can" duh..)
But the new drums really warranted a change (in my case) to newer (newer design newer era ) Cymbals. For the betterment of all / everything involved..

So there may be something symbiotic between which Cymbals and which Drums being used.
A Relationship that's connected..
It was in my case. And I haven't had the desire to look (or go) back.

sad among other things, to leave 'old cymbal friends' behind , but it was a break from the past that I not only survived but thrived..

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I mean we don't play one (drums) without the other (cymbals) right?

So that leads to the question what cymbals match which given drums you're using at what certain time ..or does it ? and is there a relationship there..and how does it fit.

Might inspecting our relationships- which drums to which cymbals- solve and clarify some things..

Last edited:

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When you’re ready to sell the Rough, hit me up!

Reaction score
Ill tell you.
Ive ownedsome "horrible " rough rides and scdr...

Paiste consistency is not

Thats great.

Check out 1:46-1:48

I do two shanks on each. Maybe they were not loud enough.
OK I heard them, missed them inside all of the edge crashing I guess. Sorry. MSG

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Liked the first one on the left best. But I dunno. Listened a few times. The right one seem a little lower in tone, particularly the bell. With that said, the lower pitch might allow it to blend more. So it’s a wash. The shank was a little quirky on both...some strange gong tones coming out. They’re both nice cymbals and rivets helped. I think a 22 KDM provides enough heft, but maybe a little more pleasant sounding in the crash/shank...I know that wasn’t part of this demo, but since I own one. If I were doing a heavier jazzy ride, I’d go for a KDM myself.

Last edited:

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, by comparison, I much prefer the one on the left, whatever it is. It has a much more defined presence with just enough balanced undertone frequencies to adequately support the very sweet stick sound.

And while the other one is a nice-sounding cymbal in its own rights, its undertones are out of balance just enough that it possesses one or two dominant frequencies that "muddy up" the undertone balance. Some people like this imbalance because it gives a cymbal a more pronounced "personality."

GeeDeeEmm

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score

SCDR/Dark Ride is something like 1979?

Rough Ride is like 1989 or early 90s?
No need to check with me. You just check the Wiki

I've updated the SCDR entry to "current research status", but I haven't got to the Rough entry yet. That's why I'm not posting here much any more. I'm concentrating on getting content into the Wiki. Which reminds me Tom, can we please link to your videos (and possibly photos) for Rough Rides? I also need to add the info on the two bell diameters found on the 22" Rough. I believe I have all the info from your previous ones stashed away but haven't processed it all yet. I'm about two years behind. :blink: