Rough Ride VS SCDR

tkillian

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes Zen. Whatever you want/ need

For those of you unfamiliar with these cymbals....in my video...

Rough Ride is on the left
Rough Ride = 3041grams

Scdr is on the right

Scdr = 3146 grams

Last edited:
Z

zenstat

Thanks Tom. Your videos are the best! I hoping to put together a set of comparison videos (say two different models or two different series like SCDR and Rough) to supplement the per model examples. The original structure of the Paiste-Only Wiki didn't really cater for that, but we're working out ways to do it.

I forgot to mention serial numbers. :blush: Figuring out production year from serial numbers is well researched now. Remember you also need to include what is written above the serial number to get the right decade. This is documented here:

The German serial number scheme is different and research on those is still ongoing. If you just Google the Interwebs or use info from Wikipedia the years and methods aren't all correct.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes Zen. Whatever you want/ need

For those of you unfamiliar with these cymbals....in my video...

Rough Ride is on the left
Rough Ride = 3041 grams

Scdr is on the right

Scdr = 3146 grams
Edit...see edited post for correct weights

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ill tell you.
Ive ownedsome "horrible " rough rides and scdr...

Paiste consistency is not
I've had two 20" RR's - one from '94 - it was NOS still had the price sticker under the bell. That cymbal was clangy and metallic. The one I still have is an earlier one from '91 - much nicer sounding.

I have to say, I might like the RR over the SCDR in your video - more tah that's a nice distance from the stick... But when I hear the bells of the two, I think along the lines of what Seb was saying - the B20 cymbal will project better than B15. I've A/B'd my 22 SCDR to my RR and it's really evident in the sound of the bells - the B20 rings out more.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
when I hear the bells of the two, I think along the lines of what Seb was saying - the B20 cymbal will project better than B15. I've A/B'd my 22 SCDR to my RR and it's really evident in the sound of the bells - the B20 rings out more.
Wouldn't say it's due to the alloy though, other Sigs are very present in that respect.

toddbishop

Reaction score
I do like that Rough ride. I need to take out my 22" SCDR and 602 DR more often. The SC is really like getting into a '73 Buick Riviera-- it's a boat. A power jazz cymbal. The 602 is a little friendlier.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Last night I had all my students use the scdr..then the RR.
I played keyboard.
Damn if the scdr was hands down the winner. I think the rr ..i need smaller rivet cause its got enough going on..without a rivet.

Ill be posting a video tonight of all my paiste signatures.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Great video Tom.

If the shirt fits, wear it.
Im a mess.

I must say as much as I enjoy talking, analyzing, looking at, buying, trading and selling cymbals.

There is at my core a desire to just stay with one set of cymbals and be done.

I know two local (up state, ny) drummers who have played the same set of cymbals for 25+ years.

They are great drummers and have thousands of gigs under their belt.

I often wonder what it feels like to just gig..

Last edited:

jsp210

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might not be the sexiest choice but after dancing with many partners from a few different manufacturers for the past few years I returned home to rest in the comfy bosom of my 50s A Zildjians and haven't looked back. They are perfect in every situation and represent the sound I hear in my head when I think of what a cymbal should sound like.

These two in your video sound very nice but I think you are right about the SCDR having more sweet and mellow character and winning out in the comparison. Nicely done.

Reaction score
Im a mess.

I must say as much as I enjoy talking, analyzing, looking at, buying, trading and selling cymbals.

There is at my core a desire to just stay with one set of cymbals and be done.

I know two local (up state, ny) drummers who have played the same set of cymbals for 25+ years.

They are great drummers and have thousands of gigs under their belt.

You know what I'm going to say, but I'll still say it.

One set in the bag ready to go out the door to work, one set that is set up at home for teaching-practicing. When you get tired of one, swap the sets (from bag to stand and from stand to bag.) When you want to "experiment" mix the sets. Even with two sets of three cymbals you will have MANY options (I'm sure there is a mathematician out there that could tell us exactly how many options.) Make the choice, pick two sets, keep them forever, and play the hell out of them!!!!!

Make sure the sets are DIFFERENT, not better or worse, just DIFFERENT! Stop thinking so "fundamentalist" (All or Nothing, Black, White, Best, Worst.....) Embrace the "and" ditch the "or."

It is possible to like Vernell Fournier AND Terry Bozzio, vanilla AND chocolate, hot dogs AND hamburgers, tea AND coffee, Lester Young AND Archie Shepp.... dig?

MSG

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
You know what I'm going to say, but I'll still say it.

One set in the bag ready to go out the door to work, one set that is set up at home for teaching-practicing. When you get tired of one, swap the sets (from bag to stand and from stand to bag.) When you want to "experiment" mix the sets. Even with two sets of three cymbals you will have MANY options (I'm sure there is a mathematician out there that could tell us exactly how many options.) Make the choice, pick two sets, keep them forever, and play the hell out of them!!!!!

Make sure the sets are DIFFERENT, not better or worse, just DIFFERENT! Stop thinking so "fundamentalist" (All or Nothing, Black, White, Best, Worst.....) Embrace the "and" ditch the "or."

It is possible to like Vernell Fournier AND Terry Bozzio, vanilla AND chocolate, hot dogs AND hamburgers, tea AND coffee, Lester Young AND Archie Shepp.... dig?

MSG
Yeah but....but.....

I mean....

Bill Stewart (yes Im not even in the same universe as him )..he pretty much has had the same set up...well for as long as I've listened to him...

Yeah..he added a flat ride....but other than that....

I really only play small group jazz...

No pop, rock, reggae...etc...

So i dont NEED variety...

But I hear you....

Im just being hypothetical...philisophical...

Stop being so darn realistic and practical.. :angel8: