Roy Haynes Yamaha Copper Snare Value?

texasshawn16

Reaction score
I may have a line on a roy haynes yamaha snare to purchase. It looks to be in near mint condition. I know they have been discontinued and from the videos I see online sound amazing. But, as of right now there are none on the market to establish a fair value for them. Can anyone ballpark a figure?

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Was there such a thing as a Brass Roy Haynes signature snare...I thought they were copper?

Mark
Yup, only copper versions as far so know.

They are quite wanted drums and sounds great. I had one (seamed version) and I sold it for about 500 Euros a year or 2 ago. It sold really fast too.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
The original Roy Haynes Seamless Copper Hammered snare drum is a GREAT drum. They are pretty rare and hard to come by these days. I think that if you can find a nice one for under a grand, you are doing pretty good. You just don't see them coming up for sale these days.
I great way to spot a seamless drum if you are having trouble and don't have a new of the inside of the drum is that if the Serial # has an "A" in it, it is NOT a Seamless Shell. I have had one in my arsenal since new and it sounds amazing. All of the seamless copper Yamaha drums are pretty great drums...this Roy Haynes is extra special. The shell on these drums seems a little thicker too.

texasshawn16

Reaction score
Sorry it is copper...i don't know why I typed brass in the thread title...yesterday was a long day...lol

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had the seamless first gen model. Had the muffler and everything. Fantastic drum. Of course I sold it...idiot.

Reaction score
View attachment 443854

This is the seamless first generation model.

The concert model is also very nice and a bit more sensative.
I have the concert model, and I agree with you, it's more sensitive (due to the strainer, and I am probably in the minority about that strainer, I love it!) I did a side by side of the two drums, and I like the concert model (although it does have a seam) more than Roy's drum.

I just don't see the need to hammer a copper drum, copper is already warm and dark enough, it doesn't need any "help." I think Roy did it because he used the Ludwig Hammered Bronze for so long, liked the way it looked, and wanted the Yamaha to be similar. It's a very good sounding drum though!

Just my 2 cents,
MSG

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
I see one on goodwill site right now at $641 with just over 2 hours left in the auction. There is also a Craviotto in the same sale at $551

Latest posts