Royal Star King Beat Snare - parallel strainer, who can help?

Germandrummer

Reaction score
Should I say barnfind?

The bad shape results from neglection for years I suppose. The plating nonetheless might be a bit more thorough than my old Supra`s.

I`ll see what will happen!

One further question came up as I could do a decent examination of the snare today. Some parts of the parallel strainer are missing. The knurled screws at both sides might be standards parts. The "brackets" holding the knurled-screws and the snare wires` end plates will be much more difficult to replace. Could anyone send me photos or specifications of these parts? Parts themselves are also welcome.

Would it be - as a fallback option - possible to replace the parallel strainer by an ordinary strainer just to get the snare usable until parts are found?

P.S.: Anyone who could offer snare wires for this beauty, please let me know. The vendor mentioned in my snare wire thread selling handmade replacement wires did not react to my e-mail yet.

Attachments

Last edited:

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Whew.

It's a shame that drum was abandoned to neglect.

Rikkrebs wireset seen above looks to have the correct end tabs for a parallel strainer but I'm not certain if those would fit your particular model.

Normally I would make every effort to repair and replace components in order to give a drum like that new life - but considering the scarcity of those parallel strainer components from the Royal Star era it might be a lost cause.

Germandrummer

Reaction score
Whew.

It's a shame that drum was abandoned to neglect.

Rikkrebs wireset seen above looks to have the correct end tabs for a parallel strainer but I'm not certain if those would fit your particular model.

Normally I would make every effort to repair and replace components in order to give a drum like that new life - but considering the scarcity of those parallel strainer components from the Royal Star era it might be a lost cause.
I fully agree! I think I`m not going to accept it a lost cause. As I have some connections to a technical university here I`m confident that missing parts can be reconstructed but: I`ll need some specifications, drawings or a sample.

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I own an Apollo Megatone snare drum that I believe uses the identical parallel strainer. I'd be willing to take some close-up pictures of the strainer mechanism if that would help you out. Attached are some pictures of my Apollo drum.

Apollo 1.jpg Apollo 2.jpg Apollo 3.jpg Apollo 4.jpg

Germandrummer

Reaction score

KevinD

Reaction score
OK this is a long shot at best... But as I recall, the Pearl Jupiter used similar snare wires to yours.
In this video rdavidr performs a pretty simple modification to some Puresound stock wires ( "vintage series Radio King Clam shell" PR1416) and it seems to work for him.

This may not be exactly what you need for yours but it may put you on the right track in your search.