Rudy's Drum Shop (WA) Closing..

amosguy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was by the shop yesterday. Sets are pared down mostly, but hardware, cymbals, snares, drum cases and TONS of heads still ready for sale. Give them a call (425 240 0037) or email ([email protected]) for a good deal on the remaining gear.

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No one is safe from the damage Covid caused re small business. I see the one exception where a business has been financed through a trust fund [inheritance] and they seem to be able to wait this out due to funds that are available
Its sad when a drum shop takes a hit, because most of the operators have worked so hard, started with very little, and invested everything they had over many years. My heart goes out to them.

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
I didn't see this shared. Anyways, they posted on their Facebook page on Friday that they will be closing, effective August 2nd. Opening a drum shop and then promptly getting hammered by the COVID crisis was pretty much a hurdle that they (and lots of retail stores for that matter) couldn't overcome. Bummer...

This saddens me greatly on many levels:
1)On a nostalgic level-Growing up in the pre-online days, the drum shop(Kirk Scott’s Drum City in San Antonio) was my every Saturday destination. I would take a lesson, hang and talk with other drummers and try out the latest gear and meet famous drummers like Louie Bellson.

The loss of another drum shop means another generation won’t experience the beauty of a drum shop.

2)On a personal level, I lived in Seattle for 6 years and Donn Bennett’s was one of my favorite drum hangs. Besides great equipment, I got to study and meet drummers like Steve Gadd, Kenny Aronoff, Alan White, Danny Seraphine, David Garibaldi, Steve Smith and Steve Ferrone to name a few. Rudy bought Donn Bennett’s and later named it Rudy’s Drum Shop. Rudy was cousins with family friends and we were excited for him. Heartbreaking.

In closing, please keep our brick and mortar independent drum shops open.

Last edited:

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tough to hear about this. I stopped into Donn Bennett's on nearly every trip to Seattle (frequent). I never left empty handed, even if it was just a few pairs of sticks. It was a great place to hang and always really great gear (along with the museum on the top shelf which included kits from Alan White, Bun E., Michael Derosier, Tre Cool and others). COVID greatly curtailed travel - so I was unaware that Rudy had renamed the shop. Aside from Covid -- the road construction in that part of Bellevue also made it a bit of PITA to get to the last time I was there, and it is already tucked into the back corner of an industrial lot. In any event -- very sad to see what was once one of the premier five star drum shops in the country close its doors.

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
DAMN! 2 years since I could get to Seattle to see my son and wanted to see Rudy's after Bennett vacated....good luck guys, thanks for the brief ride.