rug for under kit

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
One of those big rubber backed commercial door mats is what I’ve been using for 20 years. Perfect siz.
same here - and you don't really need anything bigger than what your pedals fit on.
As far as your questions
a thick one? I would say no - you want your drums and stands to be firm on the ground
what kind? see above
why? mostly to prevent them from creeping forward and marking up the floor

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like it to be big enough for the bass drum back to the throne to help keep the bass from walking. If you’re going to move it a lot remnants of commercial carpet are good since they roll up tight and the low pile doesn’t collect too much trash

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A pretty rug looks better, but I have a $ 40 brown 5 x 7 foot rug from a department store and it works fine. Might be too big.

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Whatever you get, make sure it does NOT have this kind of backing that was likely sprayed into the fabric.
This stuff slowly flakes off like endless dandruff and is a mess every time you roll it up and move the rug.
It leaves grainy dandruff at the gigs, in your vehicle, and venue owners don’t appreciate having to vacuum it up after you load out, much less you having to vacuum out your vehicle after transport.
153F6C86-E3E7-429F-8F88-9D50B8ED3BF7.jpeg

T-2

Reaction score
Well, it ain't really needed, as Buddy Rich and Simon Phillips (and others) would require plywood for the sound..... but I use rugs. I've never had anything specifically made for drums, but usually some sort of area rug that fits under at least the pedals and throne. I have a feeling you're going to get some great links in this thread.

The why, for me, has been to just keep the kit from creeping away while I'm playing.

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This kind of rug is usually a good find at places like ROSS or similar 'overstock' remainder stores - I got a faux Persian 5x8 for $19.95 once. Worked fine.

There is a "Ludwig" logo drum rug, don' t know if it comes from Ludwig, but I've seen more than one non-Ludwig kit sitting on one, which always seems odd to me.

but $115? My $19.95 "persian" looked a lot nicer.

club customs wood hoops 1.JPG

L300burn

Reaction score
like an outdoor thing?

I was thinking of cheap persian?
It is used a lot outdoors but it’s typically used to keep things from moving away like the bass drum. I’d recommend making sure Velcro works for the rug you get so your pedals, provided they have Velcro or if you get pedals with Velcro in the future, never go anywhere

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
At home I keep them on a rug. When gigging I take these (just in case) and I’m usually glad I did.

Attachments

• DF53176C-B99A-4F76-826D-5303459A7F70.jpeg
    DF53176C-B99A-4F76-826D-5303459A7F70.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 40

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As long as it is rubber backed

Yup. People using non-rubberized rugs are the ones that tell you it needs to be big enough to fit under your throne. Never understood that, because I’ve always used rubber-backed rugs (commercial entryway mats are perfect). They don’t need to go under your throne, and they’re MUCH more stable than a woven rug that is relying on your body weight / throne to keep from moving.

amosguy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up a couple of Drummer Crash Pad a few years back. Pricier than some of the suggestions already made. Great when they are on sale!

Rubber back, thin but tough. Folds into thirds and rolls up into carry bag, very small. Mine has a piece of wood on one long edge that keeps the bass drum from moving forward. Reinforced corners. Worth the $ to me.