Running the hats

Banekiller01

Reaction score
Due to being completely self taught, there's a lot of things i didn't give any attention to when i was learning. One of those things was the ability to run my hats with my left foot to the track, while playing the track. How can i begin to practice this technique?

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
What do you mean by "running your hats"? Are you talking about closing it in time, or doing something else? There are lots of different things that can be done. If you can find a video example, it would help.

Banekiller01

Reaction score
I'm talking about keeping tempo with the left foot, while playing a beat with your hands and right food. Like Bonzo in the moby dick solo

StiGy

Reaction score
im Teaching my students and myself to close the HiHat along the whole Pad practice (on Quarter on Half notes), then this technique becoming more smooth and natural...

Hope this is helps..

what do you think about this?

Last edited by a moderator:

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
As I'm driving, I often find myself playing imaginary high hat with my left foot to the radio. Might this help it become ingrained and automatic? (No pun intended)

Tilter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
CSR said:
As I'm driving, I often find myself playing imaginary high hat with my left foot to the radio. Might this help it become ingrained and automatic? (No pun intended)
I do this as well and I'll also play bass drum patterns with my left, in order to improve my weaker foot. Both of our cars have hard plastic foot rests next to the clutch pedal, so I can hear the patterns quite well.

mirico

Reaction score
Try this-Play along with some big band music and play four to the bar on the bass and hihat on 2 and 4.
Play right hand on the ride cymbal with the bass drum and play 2 and 4 with the left hand on the snare.
This trains the brain from the template of rhythm and teaches your nervous system to begin to be independent.
When you want to get a Jim Chapin independence book and work with it slowly to learn how your hands and feet
move together. 20 minutes a day will produce results while training your nervous system to integrate these skill sets.
Then you can add singing to the mix or creating fills mixed with your time. You must spend the time to train the muscles and
reflexes.
The Jim Chapin book has visual representation of how hands and feet fall together. DON'T GIVE UP OR GIVE IN...GROOVE.
DON'T PRACTICE JUST PREFORM -Your state of mind will allow you to access your new learning in any state of mind if you are performing and not practicing.
Side note: Listen to music that has a strong groove and heavy beat to assist what you are doing . Your hihat can hold the whole band together no matter how progressive. I use 14's they cut through and stablize dancing crowds to the max.
HAVE FUN AND GROOVE. WHEN YOU GET THIS CONTROL YOU WILL BE ABLE TO PLAY FLAWLESSLY WITH TRACKS WITH CONFIDECE.
Hope this helps :hello1:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I came back to add some tunes to get you started:Close your eyes and be the force behind the music.
HAVE SOME FUN! Start right here---

Gloria EstefWhaan-LET IT SNOW-----

-------------------------------
1.Honky Tonk - Bill Doggett-----------

2,Green Onions-------

3.On the Other Hand - Randy Travis------------

4.Charlie Rose Theme Song-----------

5.I Love To Love-Tina Charles--------

6.Wham-Lonnie Mack---------------

7.Chickin' Pickin'-Lonnie Mack
8.Wherever There's a Will,There's a Way-Lonnie Mack
(Lonnie Mack link is to a whole album with those songs)

9.The State of Independence-Donna Summer---------

10.Head Over Heels-ABBA-------------------

11.The Day Before You Came-ABBA------------------

12.The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face -Roberta Flack----

These tunes will get you stablized and confident. If you need to work away from the set with your hands on your knees and your feet on the floor with your eyes closed and your ears focused...it's a positive addiction.
Merry Christmas
mirico

Last edited by a moderator:

BrianOwens

Drumsforever
Reaction score
Keeping tempo with either the heel on hi-hat or toe according to Carmine Appice is essential for good tempo when I saw him explain it at a drum clinic in 2010.

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tilter said:
I do this as well and I'll also play bass drum patterns with my left, in order to improve my weaker foot. Both of our cars have hard plastic foot rests next to the clutch pedal, so I can hear the patterns quite well.
I have done the same thing. However, because the right foot is on the gas, not really doing anything, I have a difficult time getting my hi-hat to keep a steady beat while playing my bass drum.