Rush Tribute Touring Amphitheaters

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I guess I’m glad to see The Sword reunited. Not sure I’ll go see Primus play a Rush album, but lots of fans of noodly-doodly toons will be overly excited by this news.

I predict a 50:01 ratio of dudes to ladies at these shows (excepting Coachella).

From Blabbermouth:
PRIMUS will pay homage to prog-rock legends RUSH this summer with "A Tribute To Kings", a cross-country tour that will feature the Bay Area trio playing RUSH's classic 1977 album "A Farewell To Kings" in its entirety, in addition to their own music.

"A little over one year ago, Ler Lalonde and I started kicking the idea around of PRIMUSperforming a series of shows featuring an iconic RUSH album from our youth," says bandleader Les Claypool. "Being that 'A Farewell To Kings' was the first RUSH record I ever heard, and that it contains my all-time favorite RUSH tune, 'Cygnus X1', the choice narrowed quickly. Years ago, I had done something similar with COLONEL CLAYPOOL'S FEARLESS FLYING FROG BRIGADE, when we covered PINK FLOYD's 'Animals' in its entirety. It was an insane amount of work, but ended up being one of the most enjoyable live endeavors I've ever done. Dubbing the tour 'Primus: A Tribute To Kings', it was originally scheduled to be performed in the fall of 2019 but, when we were asked to support SLAYERon their 'Final Campaign', the 'Tribute To Kings'tour was postponed.

"Geddy, Alex and Neil had been superheroes to Larry, Herb and I in our teens, so when we all became pals while touring together in the early '90s, we were pretty delighted; partially because of the musical geek-out factor but mostly because the three guys whom we had admired so much from afar, turned out to be truly great, down-to-earth humans, and like us, a tad eccentric.

"The 'Tribute To Kings' tour will be just as it is implied, a respectful and loving tribute to three spectacular musicians, songwriters, legends and friends."
"A Tribute To Kings" kicks off in May and spans over 40 dates through August, including Bonnaroo Arts And Music Festival in Tennessee, New York City's Beacon Theatre, Lps Angeles's Greek Theatre, and a Bay Area hometown show at Berkeley's Greek Theater. WOLFMOTHER will open the entire tour with additional support from THE SWORD and BATTLES. Tickets will be available to the general public starting on Friday, February 21 at 10 a.m. local time.

Last edited:

Drm1979

Reaction score
Well if any band has the chops to pull something like this off its primus. Sure les' voice is nowhere the same as geddy's but lalonde, claypool, and Alexander have the musical ability to pull this off. There is some very early footage of primus playing spirit of radio on YouTube and the guitars and drums are excellent renditions to the original.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's actually very fitting that Primus is doing this. Primus have covered, worshiped, and toured with Rush, for a long time. The two groups are friends, and have a lot of mutual respect. Lots of similarities between the two bands, as well.

I predict a percentage of Rush fans will whine and complain about this, as those types are generally insufferable; "It doesn't sound like Rush", "Les should be playing a Geddy bass", "He didn't do that fill exactly like Neil". Pick, pick, pick.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I guess I’m glad to see The Sword reunited. Not sure I’ll go see Primus play a Rush album, but lots of fans of noodly-doodly toons will be overly excited by this news.

I predict a 50:01 ratio of dudes to ladies at these shows (excepting Coachella).

From Blabbermouth:
PRIMUS will pay homage to prog-rock legends RUSH this summer with "A Tribute To Kings", a cross-country tour that will feature the Bay Area trio playing RUSH's classic 1977 album "A Farewell To Kings" in its entirety, in addition to their own music.

"A little over one year ago, Ler Lalonde and I started kicking the idea around of PRIMUSperforming a series of shows featuring an iconic RUSH album from our youth," says bandleader Les Claypool. "Being that 'A Farewell To Kings' was the first RUSH record I ever heard, and that it contains my all-time favorite RUSH tune, 'Cygnus X1', the choice narrowed quickly. Years ago, I had done something similar with COLONEL CLAYPOOL'S FEARLESS FLYING FROG BRIGADE, when we covered PINK FLOYD's 'Animals' in its entirety. It was an insane amount of work, but ended up being one of the most enjoyable live endeavors I've ever done. Dubbing the tour 'Primus: A Tribute To Kings', it was originally scheduled to be performed in the fall of 2019 but, when we were asked to support SLAYERon their 'Final Campaign', the 'Tribute To Kings'tour was postponed.

"Geddy, Alex and Neil had been superheroes to Larry, Herb and I in our teens, so when we all became pals while touring together in the early '90s, we were pretty delighted; partially because of the musical geek-out factor but mostly because the three guys whom we had admired so much from afar, turned out to be truly great, down-to-earth humans, and like us, a tad eccentric.

"The 'Tribute To Kings' tour will be just as it is implied, a respectful and loving tribute to three spectacular musicians, songwriters, legends and friends."
"A Tribute To Kings" kicks off in May and spans over 40 dates through August, including Bonnaroo Arts And Music Festival in Tennessee, New York City's Beacon Theatre, Lps Angeles's Greek Theatre, and a Bay Area hometown show at Berkeley's Greek Theater. WOLFMOTHER will open the entire tour with additional support from THE SWORD and BATTLES. Tickets will be available to the general public starting on Friday, February 21 at 10 a.m. local time.

I may be more excited about Sword, psyched they're coming to town in June. Got to see them right before they went on hiatus and they slayed.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I may be more excited about Sword, psyched they're coming to town in June. Got to see them right before they went on hiatus and they slayed.
I saw them a half-dozen times, everywhere from a tiny club to pretty large festivals. Great band and Jimmy Vela III is a monster drummer.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
I predict a percentage of Rush fans will whine and complain about this, as those types are generally insufferable; "It doesn't sound like Rush", "Les should be playing a Geddy bass", "He didn't do that fill exactly like Neil". Pick, pick, pick.
Count me in the percentage that will not be nit-picking. In fact, most of the rabid Rush fans I know love a lot of the Rush tribute bands, and we like to discuss their strengths and weaknesses, not as nit-pickers, but more as fans of the craft: "YYNot's singer doesn't sound like Geddy, but she's great anyway," or, "That guy from Lotus Land really nails Geddy's singing," etc.
We are talking about Primus here - and just about anything they do will probably be kick-ass to me.

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Reaction score
I saw an online performance of Primus covering a Rush tune a few years back (Spirit of Radio?). It was a tough listen just because Les' singing is just SO different from anyone else.

owr

Reaction score
I’m not a huge rush fan, so don’t know how seriously y’all will take this. But I did see that tour where Les Claypool’s FFB covered Pink Floyd Animals and it was fantastic.

lcondo123

Reaction score
Les Claypool is able to turn anything into his own beautiful monstrosity. He did it with the entirety of Pink Floyd's Animals album with his Fearless Flying Frog Brigade project.

If anyone can pay a loving tribute to Rush in their own way, it's Les and Primus.

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Primus does a fabulous job with "their" take on the music. I've witnessed it live on a couple different occasions. I get it, Les singing Rush isnt a "Tribute" band style representing Rush's music, but they slay the music. Who knows I saw Wolfmother is a special guest. Maybe theyll bring in Andrew Stockdale in for vox ?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Primus may have made a strategic error by locking themselves in to playing the entire "Kings" album when there are so many great Rush instrumentals they could play.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
After seeing the real deal so many times, I don't think a cover will do. I do like Primus though.