Russ Miller “Groove Wedge” is back!!

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And from what I got, more items to come.

I expect daxdad’s and Subkicks will be back too.

Maybe even his 12x6 bamboo as production model in the future?

I loved the Wedge’s and owned (and sold) many.

The Cascara wedge is great to save your precious finish on floor toms.

Maybe they will release those too again.

I am thinking about getting the Mahogany model for my Craviotto.

Last edited:

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link.
I ordered one!
I've always thought the Groove Wedge was too good a product to just disappear. It would be interesting to hear any back stories about anything that went on behind the scenes.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link.
I ordered one!
I've always thought the Groove Wedge was too good a product to just disappear. It would be interesting to hear any back stories about anything that went on behind the scenes.
No back stories here.

Russ went to Mapex and the patent of the Groove Wedge (and his other signature items) went with him.

I expected to see them being released with Mapex, but this an even smarter move tbh.

He did made one or more protoypes of the Daxdad with (mostly) Mapex parts:
1605969721238.jpeg

Last edited:

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back when they first came out I grabbed one of the original Yamaha-branded Groove Wedges for the 4x12 snare I use with my Metro Jam. My favorite kind of product - simple and effective.

Block-Wedge02.jpg

2020-08-22-014.JPG

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The demos are really good. Especially Erskine, who showed a lot of different sounds can be pulled from the x-click and played a good solo.

I think it'd be cool if they develop a few versions using different material for different sounds, or maybe hollow out the x-click to get more of a woodblock sound.

Blisco

Reaction score
I've got one in my cart on Reverb. Just deciding on which finish veneer to go with. Looks much better than the RimRiser.

Anyone want to buy the metal RimRiser I have? LOL

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I still have two of the original groove wedges (one black one that came with the 12" Musashi and one natural finish with tambourine jingles). Love them. Glad to see that they're coming out with a new version.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been using the Grove Wedge for some years now and have found the demo video on You Tube didn't give it justice. It has a nice woody sound that cuts through the band in a nice way. I have it mounted on a Ludwig Supra, haven't tried it on a wood snare but feel the metal shell helps the tone to some degree.

They are versatile depending on the area of the wedge your using. I've seen some drummers use the shoulder of the stick, creating a different type sound but I tend to like the tone using the butt end better. Also, each type of wood stick will have an affect on the sound. I normally use ProMark oak and found rolling the stick to a point that the grain of the stick in a vertical position gives it a woodier tone.

I'm glad they decided to bring it back into production. If I ever get another snare they'll be much easier to find.

If you buy one I think you'll enjoy it,
sherm

kevinyarger

Reaction score
I have three of the four original groove wedges. One regular, one with tambourine jingles in it and the plain cascara. Ive been shocked for how much people are asking/paying for the orignal groove wedges lately, so I’m pumped to see a variation of them return. While I have struggled to get my groove wedge cross stick to sound like I want with 14” snares, they are an absolute must on my small snares.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I never really liked that one.

Because its about mass and wood to enhance a cross stick sound.

The reason why crosstick sounds meaty on die cast hoops and eaven meatier on wood hoops.

Rising the rim with an extra rim doesn’t really do anything, especially mounted on a rod (the best cross stick sound comes from the spot in between the rods) and at one point only, which brings it own set of problems with it.

They did made a wood version, but that still leaves the single point mounting issue and that it rises so much it gets uncomfortable and with that angle a stick can dent the head.