Russ Miller Groove Wedge

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love these groove wedges and have used one for years. Not sure why they are no longer offered. Hope you can find one as you will love it.

cutter262

Reaction score
kluger said:
Anyone got one that they would let go of? Thanks
Check E bay .. i just picked up two - a wedge and the Jingle one . . just have to keep checking .. there out there .. if i see one again, i'll post you ..

Animaaal

Reaction score
There's one on reverb for $120! Say wahaaaat?!? That's pricey.

What did these things cost new? I mean, the metal rim riser is only like $15. I'm thinking this is a diy waiting to happen... I've seen a couple diy versions, but it looks like they used a straight block. I'd rather go with the 'curved to fit the rim' look. I'll post back with results if I get one built.

Animaaal

Reaction score
JazzDrumGuy said:
Hey Animaaal, I did a DIY a few mos ago and posted how I did it. It works great and it was pretty easy if you have a spare drum shell to use for the curved wood part.........

http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/140096-how-would-you-do-it/?hl=wedge
Oh thanks, that's cool of you... I don't have a spare shell, but that solution didn't occur to me! That's a great idea, and the curve is already curved, so no worries there. I like the eyebolt idea too, I may "borrow" that one if my L-brackets are not quite right. The eyebolts would allow you to adjust it laterally which would be nice.

I ended up going in a different direction- I traced out the radius on a 1x of solid maple and cut out a section long enough to span 2 lugs. Then I cut a strip of birch ply and glued it to the curved section of maple with a ton of clamps to bend the ply. For mounting, I blatantly copied the Groove Wedge, and used 2 L-brackets and short bolts and wingnuts with 2 slots for adjusting lug spacing. The clamps come off tomorrow, so we'll see how she works!

Animaaal

Reaction score
Success! Ok, so I did use the original wingnut attachments at first, and I wasn't thrilled with that setup but it worked. My wedge was up a little higher than I liked so I thought, hmmm let me carve out a channel on the underside of it so the lug heads can go up into the wedge and I can mount it lower and closer... And that led to an accidental discovery of the easiest way to mount this thing! The lug heads go up into the groove I drilled out on the underside of the wedge, and between that and the piece of birch ply extended down, it stays put. If I had a router I could really get it just right where the lug head would juuuuust fit into the channel. But I had to use a Forstner bit instead, although it does still have a little grip to it when I slide the wedge on. So basically if you routed a groove the whole length of the wedge, you could fit it on any drum. It would have to jump up the whole length of the lugs head to come off, not likely. And it sounds great! Thanks for the inspiration guys.

IMG_0226.JPGIMG_0227.JPG

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is amazing; congratulations!!

I've been using the Grove Wedge for...y e a r s now and loved every minute of it. When purchased I think it was $45 the last two I saw at the drum shop about 6 months ago they were $69 or $79 I believe and at time I thought I should get one in case I get another snare but I didn't get it. Now too late. I've used mine so much over the years I have worn a slight indention in the top of the wedge where I play.

Animaaal, the nice thing about your design you can move it from drum to drum without removing the lug bolts and you want need more than one. And changing heads will be a breeze. The more you pay it the more you are going to like it.

I use the butt end of the stick, and rolling the stick slightly will change the sound in different degrees. Depending on the type wood of the stick (OAK) I find when the grain of the wood is vertical you'll get a better cutting sound through the mix. Plus the area where the tip lays on the head can make a difference in how it sounds. Not too long ago I caught myself slightly releasing/letting go of the stick as it hits the wedge with the palm of my hand just slightly resting on the stick and forcing down. Don't know how long I've been doing that. LOL! And I don't do it all the time. I think it's the feel of the music that dictates how it's played. I believe the drum in combination with the wedge plays a big part in how it sounds it is not like just a stick hitting metal rim it's much more.

A couple of reasons it went away is (I believe; I have on real clue) Russ Miller is no longer with Yamaha and apparently Yamaha lost the rights of making the product plus they must have been expensive to make. They are made like a drum shell; if I'm not mistaken there are 11 layers of maple glued together plus the hardware involved, then marketing, etc.

Hope you will enjoy yours for years to come.

sherm

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm late to the party, but I have a 13" version that I can ship out to anyone that needs it.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Animaal, that looks pretty sweet! I don't have the tools to do it like that. I went to H. Depot but could not find the right parts to do the L-bracket like the G.Wedge, but I figured I could make the bolts work.

Sherm: "My" design only requires 2 tension rods to mount, so it's a pretty easy on and off. I added an extra hole depending on whether you have 8 lugs or 10 lugs so it is "universal".......