Russian Cover Band - Leonid & Friends

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love this band.
Honestly, as good as they are behind those instruments ... the thing that blows my mind is how well they enunciate the lyrics.
I worked on a feature film last month ... I had to speak a few lines of Russian ... it was a bad day. I worked on those lines for about a month. I just couldn't seem to get my mouth to form those words. Extremely difficult language.
When you consider, some of our sounds do not appear in their language ... and yet ... those musicians seem to handle the English language with absolute precision.
That is just freaky to me.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I watch their YouTube videos on a regular basis! Fantastic musicians! While many of the musicians can speak a little English, you'd think they had spoken English all their lives! What I've heard is that it can be not too difficult to sing songs in English phonetically, which is what they tend to do. Still a lot of work, but they do it well. Case in point, ABBA did the same thing!

Also, for those of you that have viewed many of these videos, watching Ksenia Buzina perform is a real treat! She's as beautiful and friendly as she is talented!

-Mark

Last edited:

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
English has become somewhat the global language of business etc.
I've actually wondered if they are expert pantomime/mimics/editors but it sure looks 100% real across the board and is extremely entertaining.
Someone should compose some originals for them!!!!!

jmato

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Drummers in Russia have subkicks and I don't? SMH.

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Followed them for years, and saw them live on their first tour here. They're as good live as they are in these recordings.

Simply amazing. And Ksenya is just as good looking in person. ;)

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nailing Chicago tunes is a walk in the park for these people whose grandparents,parents,aunts and uncles broke the back of the Nazi war machine at Stalingrad .

Last edited:

drums1225

Reaction score
For something a bit more local, here's our very own @drums1225 playing with the US-based "Beginnings", a _crushing_ Chicago tribute band:
Thanks, Brandon! Buy American! This was from one of my first gigs with Beginnings, so when I listen back to this, I notice all the fills I hadn't copped by then. I was still reading charts at this point. This exact track is actually on our live CD from 2018, so I'm constantly reminded of how much better I know the music now!

Chris

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Very tight band doing amazing covers, especially Chicago tunes, note for note. The actual Chicago band are fans.

Holy smokes! Never heard of them before. They make you appreciate how great the original band was. Wish there was this much enthusiasm for this music in the U.S.

Ok, how about some B,S&T next.

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
another follower here, incredibly tight, and to think they transcribed all those numbers by ear???!!!!
The original Chicago couldn't cover these guys as well.

Watch their Christmas program, sans audience, with their guy doing it remotely from Kiev!
How the hell do you produce that? Well worth an hour & a half of your time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoxC_orWMag

Last edited: