Sabian 15" HHX studio crash as HH top?

Kendrum

Reaction score
I've got an HHX 15" studio crash (old logo) LOL. Not in love with it as a crash cymbal might try it as a HH top. Anyone ever give it a go?

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I mix & match a lot & it's always fun to see what (subjectively) works & what doesn't. HHX Studio Crashes are pretty thin and even thinner near the edges, so it'd be pretty dark & sloshy even if paired with a weighty cymbal for volume compensation. I'm using a 15" 70's A made in Canada over a Medium Sabian SR2 right that's quite sloshy and dark, but the 70's A top is still far heavier than an HHX Studio Crash. Anyway, if it doesn't work out you could sell it, potentially to me (very subtle hint LOL) & buy a top that better suits your needed weight for a top hat.

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
FWIW I use a 15" HHX Banda Turka which is 1/2 of a set of orchestral cymbals. I love it in general but also because the bell is larger than the average hat's.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Might sound great. I used to have the 16" HHX Studio Crash and it was very thin and opened up with a flick. It bet it would sound interesting with an X-cellerator bottom.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
FWIW I use a 15" HHX Banda Turka which is 1/2 of a set of orchestral cymbals. I love it in general but also because the bell is larger than the average hat's.
But to be honest, you are the king of finding cool sounds out of gear that other people pay no attention to! ;)

Reactions: dtk

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Excellent.
I’ve got several crash hats.
Zildjian 16 K Dark Crash on the bottom (it’s a thicker brighter cymbal than the norm) with a Paiste 16 Traditional Crash on top. Sometimes I will swap out the Paiste with a Zildjian 16 K Constantinople Crash ... an incredible Zildjian marriage.
Sabian 15 AA Medium on the bottom with a Paiste 15 Masters on the top ... my favorite hat set.
At times, I will put a 15 under the 16 for that extra bit of sizzle.

bodinski

the Tingler
Reaction score
My 15” HHXPlosion is too mushy as a top. Interesting, but not workable, at least for me.