Sabian AAX Concept Crash

markkarj

Reaction score
Does anyone have any knowledge on these? Our local Canadian chain store had an 18 inch for $130, which is a pretty screaming deal. I quite liked it although I have quite a few that are close to it in sound.

I'm increasingly enjoying Sabian crashes, the extra thin Xplosion fasts in particular. They seem to have a shimmer that doesn't split ears.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I got tempted for a minute, then I read the description. Just not what I’m looking for in cymbal sound these days. Too bad though, would love to take advantage of the pricing.

markkarj

Reaction score
I was very tempted. I could see myself liking hats with a similar sound quality.

I'm just a little intrigued because it's not listed on their website nor have they seemingly done any promotion for it. I realize promo isn't important for music, but I work in communications so I get a bit interested in product reveals.

Kendrum

Reaction score
I've got one on order from Sweetwater, the 18" though they look to be sold out now. For $99 I couldn't say no!
Steve Weiss had the 17" for $89 that to is sold out.
Not sure of its a new line or this years black Friday special. They seem to have one out every year.

markkarj

Reaction score
I emailed Sabian and it looks like there may be more Concept cymbals in the future. They said if I liked what I heard, I'd be happy in 2019 :)

The one thing I'm wondering is what they're going for... the Concept crash seemed to be a slightly heavier version of my AAXPlosion fast crashes, which I greatly enjoy.

Up2Speed

Reaction score
I bought the 18" from Sweetwater. It has a lower tone than my other AAX cymbals but not in a bad way. I like them both.

markkarj

Reaction score
I compared the 18" Concept to an 18" HHX Evolution at a local chain store. They were remarkably similar in overall "character".

5stroke

Reaction score
I bought the 17" Concept on the special price deal and just received it. Somewhat similar to my 17" AAX Xplosion, but definitely darker and quicker to fade after each crash. Also nice for some light riding. I'm really liking it and will use it in place of my 17" Xplosion on some upcoming gigs. I'd assume the hammering is what gives the darker, drier sound.
Weight wise- XXplosion weighed 1210 grams, the Concept just 1086 grams.

markkarj

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't think the pricing is going to remain that way. It seems to be a loss leader, especially if they're trying to build some potential buzz for an upcoming launch of other Concept cymbals.

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
I picked up one of the 18" ones before Sweetwater sold out of them. It's thinner and a little darker than I was expecting but still good nonetheless. Would be cool if they make a Concept series ride and hats to go along with it.