header.nohb.html

Sabian AAX Stage hats vs AAX Medium Hats

spazapproved

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently changed out my hihats from AAX Stage hats to AAX Medium hats and had several people asked me about some sound comparisons. So here you go!

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great demo. I like the stage better.
Side note... if you care about gram weights, digital scales are cheap.
And you'd think dw could make a hi hat stand that doesn't wobble.

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Btw. I have the 14" Stage Hats and they sound like a perfect match for my 14/16/17/18 AAX Dark crashes and 18" HH Ed Thigpen Crystal flat ride/20" AAX Dry ride along with my 16" K custom Dark/16" HH thin crash 80s era. That particular cymbal setup can be played with jazz or rock and works brilliantly no pun intended.

spazapproved

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great demo. I like the stage better.
Side note... if you care about gram weights, digital scales are cheap.
And you'd think dw could make a hi hat stand that doesn't wobble.

The wobble is my fault! The second stand is setup on super plush carpet and I have it angled different. I literally just picked it up and moved it to this kit which is on a flat hard surface and I didn't readjust the legs. But even then it does wobble a bit yes. Two legs vs Three though will do it.

2oo2

Reaction score
Great contribution, Stage Hats sound more “interesting” by themselves but along with the kit the Medium Hats sound more versatile (and with more controlable dynamics). The Stage bottom seems to be much heavier than the Medium, I think that’s where the loudness comes from. I liked the Stage better at the beginning but the Mediums sound really good on drum patterns.

spazapproved

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great contribution, Stage Hats sound more “interesting” by themselves but along with the kit the Medium Hats sound more versatile (and with more controlable dynamics). The Stage bottom seems to be much heavier than the Medium, I think that’s where the loudness comes from. I liked the Stage better at the beginning but the Mediums sound really good on drum patterns.
yeah someone suggest swapping the bottom hats because of the tones. I'm definitely going to try that out and see how that sounds!