Sabian AAX Studio Hats info

Sun shy

Reaction score
Would like to know any info on these as I can’t find much other than they are thinner than the Stage Hats. I’m a pretty light player and do more recording than live work so I wanted some quiet hats. Tried out the Sand Hats at GC but they weren’t for me. But ended up really liking a 15" pair of AAX Medium Hats (I’ve only played 14" and smaller). Thought the Studio Hats might be even thinner, but they have been discontinued. Were these re-named or something? While Stage hats are all over, the Studio hats seem a lot harder to find. Thoughts on the Studio Hats?

My favorite hats are an old 13" Zildjian K top and a 13" AAX Studio bottom (never owned the studio top). So I thought I might like the complete Studio Hats set.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You are correct. They are the thinner brother to the Stage hats. I’ve had both. Very nice hats, but can still be a bit brash under a forceful stick.
If you are looking for Sabian hats that are quieter for studio work ... I might suggest you check out the Legacy hats. These are the Weckl hats. I have a set for my studio and can attest to the fit. They are much warmer than the Studio hats. They are also much quieter ... which is a plus when you close mic. They don’t put out any harsh tones. Very smooth sounding.
The Studio hats are generally thicker than the Legacy hats. The bottom is a good 100-300g thicker on a 14 set. That kicks the sound up and brightens them a bit When compared to the Legacy.
Unfortunately, the Legacy are about $200 more.
The Thin hats split the difference between these two models. The weights fall in between the Legacy and the Studio and the price is right smack dab between them, too. They do sound nice. It’s a good place to be as a shopper.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Sun shy

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I have the HHX Evolution 14" hats (Dave Weckl sig). Love those, but are a bit too bright. Are the Legacy less bright?

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Evolution hats are the louder and much harsher brother to the Legacy hats.
They are two different animals.
I, too have had the Evolution cymbals.
The Weckl Legacy cymbals are seriously different from them.
Generally, the Legacy cymbals are MUCH thinner and quieter and MUCH smoother.
Both lines bear the Weckl name. But they are night and day.

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Back in the 90s, before I got into vintage drums, I went to GC with the intention of upgrading my hats. I borrowed some sticks, and went through every pair that was on display without paying attention to brand or price. The AAX Studio hats really stood out as having a unique and appealing sound. I didn't think of them as being softer, but they seem to have a more controlled sound that doesn't sound tinny. I was playing a Tama Starclassic Performer beech kit, which also had a more controlled, modern sound. The AAX Studio hats sounded great with this kit. I still have the Studio hats since they have some unique qualities that are not replicated in my other pairs.

Targalx

Reaction score
May I suggest another Sabian model? The Manhattan hi hats are excellent for quiet stuff. I play in a bop jazz combo in which I'm on brushes 30% of the set, and generally have to play fairly quietly, and I LOVE the Sabian Manhattan hats.

Sun shy

Reaction score
Ha! I ask for one answer and get 3 more possibilities! Who am I kidding, this is exactly what I was looking for Almost picked up some jazz hats but the guy ended up keeping them . I never got to play them.

Sun shy

Reaction score
I love that you guys are recommending $500 hats BTW! :headbang: You guys are ballerz!

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The new Complex hats might fit the bill if you want to dabble in the HHX line, pretty light hi hat and sound buttery smooth [from the videos I've heard]

Sun shy

Reaction score
Well I just ordered the 14" AAX Mediums and Studio Hats because I could find them used and saved a few bucks. I'll wait on the others and keep my eyes peeled for some second hand.

Targalx

Reaction score
Well I just ordered the 14" AAX Mediums and Studio Hats because I could find them used and saved a few bucks. I'll wait on the others and keep my eyes peeled for some second hand.
Good call. I buy almost all of my cymbals used. I only buy new ones if they are offered at an amazing discount (mostly via Amazon). Enjoy your new pans!

Sun shy

Reaction score
Gotta say, the sound great. Though, not quite as nice as the 15s at GC. Can’t wait to mix n match them.