Sabian AAX Thin Ride?

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Really? The rides? I can't believe it. They sound nice. It's taken Sabian until 2019 (almost 2020) to come out with this range?
I know there are plenty of very hard working folks over at Sabian and they do great work, it's just a general slight critique of their development.

Listen to this:

The video sounds great. I know it's EQ'd and it's all subjective, but how did they not have a "Thin" line in their AA family? I feel like the trends toward large, thin cymbals started a decade ago, if not 2, in modern pop and indy. And this is what I would refer to as their standard line.
Just doesn't make sense to me.
Wouldn't you think the majority of their customers would be looking for that sound by now?

Maybe the answer is no. Maybe they still play to the older generations that have more cash for new cymbals.

I have no idea. I'm sure there are folks who get paid to think about this very subject. I'm just a fool.

(But seriously if there are people that get paid to think about this stuff, do you need a degree or something? (Asking for a friend :cool:)

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
They trying to get on the Turkish bandwagon.
Can still hear the 'machine-made in-that (precision-precise-ness)
Still not as organic as a moreso handmade

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah. I get that.
It reminded me of a Paiste when I first heard it.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One thing that I forgot to say was that this and things like this are the reason that they are never the "cool" brand to play.
Just sayin'.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is interesting timing.
I literally just finished taping up the box to return my 21 Sabian AAX Brilliant Thin Ride - 2155g.
It never opened up. Pretty good sounds, but the crash was so static. It never opened beyond the initial.
With that said ... I really like the new sounds coming out of the factory. I guess I’ve picked up about six or so new ones in the last couple of weeks. Really good stuff.
Unfortunately, that specific ride just didn't work for me.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand your issue here since they've offered thin models in the AA family for decades.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Considering it's their "automated anvil" line, yes. Try their HH/HHX for organic sound. As for a Zildjian family member "trying to get on the Turkish bandwagon", I don't even know what to say apart from LMFAO.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been very impressed with what I've heard of the new AAX crashes. I'll have to check out the rides as well.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The thin ride in that video makes me want one. I LOVE that sound. Gracious alive!

GeeDeeEmm

Latest posts