SABIAN ARTISAN ELITE

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Never a 'Sabian guy', never touched one. I ran the gamut of many other cymbals though.
But, came across this video while checking out Mark Guiliana. He is a Sabian endorser. His playing these Elites sound superb. Of course his soft style is perfect for the music and cymbals, but it left me impressed with the Elites.

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love Mark's playing. I've heard some great Elites and some that seemed super quiet and overbaked.

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
..yes, the old cymbal adage, 'try before you buy'...some could be very dry, I would think

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That left side ride is so dry, the 3 rivets in it can't liven it up. I love Sabian cymbals, but these Artisan Elites just do nothing for me. I own several standard Artisans and I would love if Sabian would add a hint of a trashy sound to them and dry them just a touch to take some of the volume out of them, but these Elites took the dryness to the extreme. I also don't like that they call them "Elite" as if they are better than other cymbals. Perhaps calling them Artisan "Dry" or Artisan "Vintage" or something that would actually describe their sound would have been a better choice, but "Elite"???? Um... no.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That left side ride is so dry, the 3 rivets in it can't liven it up. I love Sabian cymbals, but these Artisan Elites just do nothing for me. I own several standard Artisans and I would love if Sabian would add a hint of a trashy sound to them and dry them just a touch to take some of the volume out of them, but these Elites took the dryness to the extreme. I also don't like that they call them "Elite" as if they are better than other cymbals. Perhaps calling them Artisan "Dry" or Artisan "Vintage" or something that would actually describe their sound would have been a better choice, but "Elite"???? Um... no.
Man, I really wanted to like the Artisan series but I've tried and crash and a ride and was disappointed how they sat wit hthe other cymbals. I thought they would be more trashy but they're really not.

BTW, I'm not with the ultra-dry cymbal trend either. Played some of the Meinl series at a backlined show recently and there was no sound coming from the cymbals, I was hitting, it was moving but nothing....don't get it.

Targalx

Reaction score
I own only one Artisan cymbal, a 19" crash. I have owned many Zildjians, Paistes, Meinls and other Sabians (plus lots of non-major brand cymbals) in my 30-ish years of playing. It is, heads and shoulders, the best cymbal I've ever owned. I have never enjoyed playing a cymbal as much the Artisan. I got it for an amazing deal ($160 used) and it has been worth every single penny I paid (and much more), IMO. If it cracks or gets stolen, I will be DEVASTATED.

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man, I really wanted to like the Artisan series but I've tried and crash and a ride and was disappointed how they sat wit hthe other cymbals.
I get that. The Artisans are kind of strange cymbals. They are in the thin to medium thin weight range but are the most explosive cymbals I have ever played. My 17” Artisan crash is the loudest cymbal I own. I don’t know how to fit it in with my other cymbals. I had a guy come over to buy some gear of mine and he saw my Artisans. He said he owned a 17” Artisan crash as well. He said the exact same thing about his. Loudest cymbal he has. Right now I have 19” and 20” Artisan crashes paired up with a 19” HHX Fierce crash and the seem to play well with each other, but the 3 cymbals all sound fairly similar so I’m thinking about switching them up to get more voices in the kit.

That’s why I wish Sabian would have looked in to getting a bit of trash and a bit of dryness to tame the Artisans down a little. They just took it to the extreme on the Elites.

Latest posts