Sabian Crescent Hammertones?

BellsonFan

Reaction score
Has anyone out there actually been able to play any of the new Hammertones from Sabian? The nearest dealer to me that actually has them in stock is nearly 400 miles away, so I am forced to rely on the wisdom of others to determine if they are worth the steep price tag....

Thanks!

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use to play Bosphorus Hammertones. I doubt the Crescent/Sabian Hammertones are anywhere as nice.

I would scour ebay por other pre-owned markets for some 'originals'...just my opinion.

OZjazzer

Reaction score
I assume Hamilton is playing them here. I have a 22" Bos Hammer which will not be leaving the premises anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Gcort49 said:
I use to play Bosphorus Hammertones. I doubt the Crescent/Sabian Hammertones are anywhere as nice.
A rather per-determined reply dont you think? Have you played any of the Sabian models? I think all of the majors have the ability to produce nice, unique cymbals, All the videos of Stanton playing his Sabian produced plates sound wonderful. Not trying to bust yours or anyone's chops, just wondering why such a immovable position.

Doosh

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a couple of the early Sabian prototypes. They are very elegant, soft, playable cymbals. Would not hesitate to recommend based on those.

RyanR

Underaged Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I've had a chance to tippity-tap on these at Columbus Percussion. Nice sounding/feeling cymbals. They definitely were stand-outs in that very well stocked store, which also had, fresh from NAMM at the time, Zildjian's latest attempt to regurgitate the "old K" sound.

Remember, Crescent was their own deal for a bit after the American Artists/distributors pulled away from Bosphorus due to supply problems. Sabian then absorbed Crescent.

-Ryan

OZjazzer

Reaction score

Nice cymbals. There's not a lot of interest for them here. I wonder if they are selling many? Mind you they are unashamedly 'jazz' cymbals.

Last edited by a moderator:

jdc

Reaction score
I've played two sets of the Bosphorus Hammers and the Crescent Hammers side by side and a set of each on a gig.

I took a lesson with Jeff last summer, prior to the cymbals being released by Sabian. He let me check out the final prototypes side by side with his Bosphorus.

The other sets of each a close friend of mine has. The Bosphorus setup was picked for him by Michael Vosbien and the Crescent/Sabian set was picked out by Hamilton.

The 22's all sounded almost exactly the same. Hamilton's Crescent 22 sounded better than the Bosphorus and my friend's Bosphorus sounded better than the Sabian. The 22s were my favorites of all four sets but I liked Hamilton's Sabian the best.

The 20's to me were kind of blah - all four of them. I probably liked the Bosphorus 20s better than the Sabians. Hamilton's 20 had rivets in it, my friend's did not. They just sounded kind of flat to me overall but the rivets gave them a little bit of lift.

The 14 hihats were really nice but the Sabians were hands down better. They were stronger sounding without being overbearing and they felt a little stiffer. The Bosphorus were too soft and got lost easily in the sound of the other cymbals for me.

Hope that helps!

Latest posts