Sabian Cymbals Discussion

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think Sabian hit a home run with the HHX Complex line. I have not hit a cymbal from that line that I did not like.
Yup, last time I was at GC I played a HHX complex ride and I was sold. There were all sorts of Ks around it but that one stood out for sure.

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Anyone has experience with AA or AAX hats like stage hats or studio hats or regular hats or groove hats, etc.? Anything other than HHX?

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have a full set of AA Thin Crashes 16",17",18" and a 10" splash that I pair up with a 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride and my favorite pre AA Hollow Block letter 14" Hats from the mid 80's. This set comes with me on my many Country gigs and they sound very sweet.

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
Well, I think they are versatile enough if you’re playing rock, punk and pop-rock! To me they sound a little too bright sometimes, but they will cut trough a wall of guitar and bass and otjer instruments with ease! They will mellow over time as soon as they start to collect dust and some patina and they will sound better (at least to my ears).

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are they versatile? I want to know what is a good versatile set of Sabian hats. There are many models and not all available in stores to go out and check out the sound in person.
If you want a great versatile pair of Sabian hats - check out the 14” HHX Complex Medium hats

Wxmaggot

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I think they are versatile enough if you’re playing rock, punk and pop-rock! To me they sound a little too bright sometimes, but they will cut trough a wall of guitar and bass and otjer instruments with ease! They will mellow over time as soon as they start to collect dust and some patina and they will sound better (at least to my ears).
I mentioned earlier in this thread that my AA regular hats are amazing and underratedcowbell hit the nail on the head... Mine are dirty, patina laden platters that I love. The older, the better. They do mellow out. Hard to describe the sound, they just sit well in any mix. Love em!

Wxmaggot

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a full set of AA Thin Crashes 16",17",18" and a 10" splash that I pair up with a 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride and my favorite pre AA Hollow Block letter 14" Hats from the mid 80's. This set comes with me on my many Country gigs and they sound very sweet.
Love your taste drumsforme! The AA series is often forgotten in drummer circles. They seem to have gotten lost in the quest for dark and dry, which is fine if that's your style. This series, especially with some age, is so underrated. That said, I do wanna try some newer AAs

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sometimes DCP has great prototypes.
I bought a prototype 18" AAX flat ride from them which is basically the Roy Haynes Royalty Ride without the stamp and Chick Corea autograph from them for like 1/2 the price of the actual Royalty Ride last winter. I can only assume it was one of the test models before they determined the original as the weight of it is ever so slightly lighter than the ones I've seen sold on reverb.

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My current Sabian arsenal used in variousv forms depending on how I set up my kit. I'm considering adding more of the Complex line because I really like how all of those sound.

7" HHX Evolution Splash
10" HHX Evolution Splash
12" HHX Evolution Splash
14" Crescent Fat Hats
15" Crescent Fat Hats
16" Crescent Smash Crash
17" HHX Complex Thin Crash
18" Prototype AAX Flat Ride
18" Crescent Smash Crash
20" Crescent Trash Crash
20" Crescent Pang Thang
20" Crescent Wide Ride
22" Crescent Wide Ride

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How are these HH hats? They came in different models, is the “regular” most versatile one? how do these compare to say AAX or AA hats? Just darker and lighter?

1CF1F258-DCC5-4223-839F-044E8EA61158.jpeg

Core Creek

Reaction score
Are they versatile? I want to know what is a good versatile set of Sabian hats. There are many models and not all available in stores to go out and check out the sound in person.
I used Sabina AA cymbals for a good 10 years or so. Then I upgraded to Zildjian A Customs. Ever since I did, the AAs just didn’t cut it anymore. I ended up selling all my AAs.

It seems over time tastes change. I think the AA line once was the standard (along with Zildjian A’s) but these days they just don’t seem to cut through.

But perhaps that has more to do with my maturing ears….

Core Creek

Reaction score
You are all killing me with this HHX complex line love - I just sold a bass and have some cash… I think I have some new cymbals in my future.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I
Anyone has experience with AA or AAX hats like stage hats or studio hats or regular hats or groove hats, etc.? Anything other than HHX?
Have a set of AAX Freq hats. Versatile is not how I would describe them. They are cutting and brash. Not necessarily clangy, but they don't have that smooth sizzle to them. Definitely a set of hats for heavy styles of music. Good articulation and not too bright, but definitely not a versatile set of hi hats.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the HH fusion hats?
I did quite a few years ago.
I found them to be pretty darn cool.
Very expressive.
Sliced through the music without much effort.
Very quick!