Sabian Cymbals you wish they'd make or make again

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
AAX dark are no longer made. They were awesome sounding cymbals!
Oh no! AAX Dark Crashes are my main crashes for the rock stuff. But I haven't bought new AAX Dark Crashes in about a decade, so I didn't realize they were discontinued. I cracked my 19" about 5-6 years ago. Caught it early enough (it was less than an inch) and sent it to Sabian for the cymbal refresh and they fixed it for me -- still sounds great!

I mostly buy used Sabians anyways, so I'm sure I'll come across another set in due time. I LOVE the Artisan Crashes. And I use Manhattan Crashes for rock on occasion.

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
Oh no! AAX Dark Crashes are my main crashes for the rock stuff. But I haven't bought new AAX Dark Crashes in about a decade, so I didn't realize they were discontinued. I cracked my 19" about 5-6 years ago. Caught it early enough (it was less than an inch) and sent it to Sabian for the cymbal refresh and they fixed it for me -- still sounds great!

I mostly buy used Sabians anyways, so I'm sure I'll come across another set in due time. I LOVE the Artisan Crashes. And I use Manhattan Crashes for rock on occasion.
I have a 16 and an 18. Man, I love them. The 18 also pairs wonderfully with my 20" vault crash.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 16 and an 18. Man, I love them. The 18 also pairs wonderfully with my 20" vault crash.
Yeah, I have 18" and 19" AAX Dark Crashes. I pair them with a 22" AAX Metal Ride and 14" AA Medium Hats. I'll add a 20" Hand Hammered Medium Thin or a 19" Vault Crash to the setup sometimes. I like the AAX Dark Crashes because they are great both live AND in the studio. I know exactly what I'm going to get when I go to record, and I get just the right sound up on stage.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Original Jack DeJohnette cymbals, as in unlathed and unhammered.
Oh yeah. I had the original 20" Ride which I stupidly sold it when I stopped playing some 25 years ago. Great cymbal.

Also the very first Sabian I ever heard - a 22" Hand Hammered Medium Heavy Ride, sometime in the early 80s, played by a very competent local drummer at a gig I attended. That was a fantastic cymbal - sounded incredibly close to Jon Christensen´s famous old K. Would love to have that one!

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carmine Appice Signature series! Especially the chinas.

AA Metal X were pretty sweet too!

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
Funny, I never actually thought those were dark enough!
Yeah, I can see that. They're the darkest of the AAX line. The name make you think they'll sound like Ks, but they don't. They're right down the middle, IMO.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I can see that. They're the darkest of the AAX line. The name make you think they'll sound like Ks, but they don't. They're right down the middle, IMO.
I liked K Zildjians, but always found them a bit dull for live gigs in which I am competing with some pretty harsh volumes. The AAX Darks are not as dark by comparison, but that's why I liked them. I agree, they're right down the middle.

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
I liked K Zildjians, but always found them a bit dull for live gigs in which I am competing with some pretty harsh volumes. The AAX Darks are not as dark by comparison, but that's why I liked them. I agree, they're right down the middle.
It seems like half the time I asked a friend what that great sounding cymbal was that they were using, it was a K, but they just don't sound good when I play them. Like car salesmen say, there's a butt for every seat.My crashes are mostly Sabian, with a few A Customs, and this one cool Wuhan S I picked out at the PASIC Lone Star booth. I don't get a good sound out of Paistes at all.

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know VFX was B8. I had the 19" ride (2x) and the flat 14"....I would have liked to hear them w/o the paint.

I have an 18" HHX Roctagon proto...its what the line should have become but I get it...a lot of drummers aren't going to buy unround cymbals...

I got a used AAX dark 16...I do think they were onto something there.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice thing about Sabian is that any wish list can be made reality since they will make pretty much anything that you ask for. It's a viable option for replicating any cymbal that they no longer make.
At about twice the cost unfortunately.

little rock

Reaction score
I ended up, don't ask me how, with two 22" Manhattan rides, 20" ride, 18" ride, betcha never saw on of those, 20" crash, and a 16" Manhattan Bridge Ride all HHs, none of that HHX stuff. The Bridge Ride is a sweet cymbal, rides really good. The 20" ride crashes better than the 20" crash rides better than the ride. Go figure.