Sabian: Easy way to tell if B8 or B20?

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
Since colors in digital pictures can be inaccurate, and since Sabians seem to be much harder to date & identify than Zildjians, is there any easy way to determine if an unknown Sabian is a low-end Solar/B8/B8 Pro or something better?

Up for consideration by you Sabian gurus...hopefully the attached image helps. It looks to me like a B20, but the more gold color near the center-hole concerns me.

Cannons

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In my experience the best way to date or classify Sabians is, unfortunately, by ink logos, which of course can be polished or worn away over time. What strikes me about the cymbal in the photo is the very uniform lathing and lack of discernible hammering. Honestly it looks to me like a very dirty XS20. What does the under side look like? Is there any ink that you can see, even faintly?

Cannons

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
EvEnStEvEn said:
Underside reveals it's not b20.
I suspect that's an entry level cymbal.
I too suspect that it's entry level, but how can you tell by the under side view that's it's not made of B20?

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Because it doesn't look cast.
It has that sheet bronze look found on the B8 and Solar series...and a myriad of other entry level cymbals.

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
It looks a lot like my XS20's that I sold, which were b20. The color looks b20'ish too, except for that gold coloration on the top near the center-hole. Now I'm doubtful.

Cannons

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
EvEnStEvEn said:
Because it doesn't look cast.
It has that sheet bronze look found on the B8 and Solar series...and a myriad of other entry level cymbals.
I definitely see your point.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
If the cymbal were physically in your hands I'd say what was the color like. Gold tint = b20, copper tint = b8. But in this picture the coloration is hard to get a handle on. While the XS20 series has the same type of uniform lathing as the entry level stuff, my suspicion is that this is a B8 series cymbal (BOTTOM of the line). Look at this pic of an XS20:

MUCH tighter lathing. The older B8s had that wide lathing pattern that this cymbal shows.

Pass.

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ready for things to get even more confusing? Check out the pics of my 20" XS20, which was sold with the rest of the pack to a fellow forum member.

Looks to me like the cymbal pictured in the first post of this topic could indeed be an XS20, but certainly not an AA or something better...so it looks like I'm not going to take a run at it. But, I still wish I knew how to tell between the different Sabian lines, in the absence of ink or accurate color photos... :blackeye:

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
...And here's a 16" Sabian Crash that I repaired, and it is *definitely* a B8, as it has a coppery color to it that's different from all my other cymbals (which are all B20)...the plot thickens. The first cymbal could still be a B8. :?