Sabian Flange Rides and Sabian Sound Control Rides..swish cymbals..the flanged edge obsession

hatandbeard

Reaction score
Anyone interested in these?
I'm pretty obsessed with them.
Going to be posting a small handful of my flanged Sabians for sale here/etc soon.
Figured it wouldn't hurt to nerd out a bit with anybody that's super into these like I am.

I of course love swish cymbals and thin china cymbals as well.

I dig hand-hammered elements of all kinds and a lot of thin cymbals of course, but I play a Sabian sound control ride everyday and a set of 12 inch K Istanbul 60s hi-hats or set of 60s 12in zanchi Vibra hi-hats.

Anyone else have these really interesting minimal cymbal setups?
I am also pretty fond of pairing my rare 20" Sabian hand-hammered sound control flat ride with these.

Attachments

hatandbeard

Reaction score
And for what it's worth there are a few videos on YouTube of me playing these cymbals; not all of them but some of them etc
One of the videos is just a long nerdout video talking about each one.
I'll make more videos down the line.

hatandbeard

Reaction score
No one has mentioned this before this is an amazing bit of information thank you thank you

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 22” Artisan sound control ride. My all time favorite rock ride. I am very curious to hear that sound control flat cymbal if you get a chance to make a video. Can’t quite figure what that would sound like as the sound control edge minimizes the wash. But there’s not much wash to a flat.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What a nice collection HatandBeard! I have a wonderful 1988 model 16" HH Sound Control crash that I keep with my percussion rig and mostly play with mallets or crash by hand. It's the only "old" cymbal I have from my own past and a joy to play.

In other brands, I have a set of UFiP Class Series 16", 17" and 18" "Fast Crash's" flange edge cymbals and their Vibra series also shares the same flange design.

Again, what a collection you have, nice!!

hatandbeard

Reaction score
I have a 22” Artisan sound control ride. My all time favorite rock ride. I am very curious to hear that sound control flat cymbal if you get a chance to make a video. Can’t quite figure what that would sound like as the sound control edge minimizes the wash. But there’s not much wash to a flat.
Since I have a new phone I'll see if I can make a new video and just directly posted here and you have never seen another one of those flat rides and it's not one I'm going to sell but it is very cool and actually think that it projects well and crashes and opens up well more than other flat rides I've had which is wild

hatandbeard

Reaction score
What a nice collection HatandBeard! I have a wonderful 1988 model 16" HH Sound Control crash that I keep with my percussion rig and mostly play with mallets or crash by hand. It's the only "old" cymbal I have from my own past and a joy to play.

In other brands, I have a set of UFiP Class Series 16", 17" and 18" "Fast Crash's" flange edge cymbals and their Vibra series also shares the same flange design.

So rad of you to share I sincerely appreciate! it I've always been curious about any of these other brands that do the flanged edge.. always been curious about the ufip series that has it too

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
what's the link to the vid where you talk about each...i got one in a lot deal (crash)...interested in learning more.
dtk

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
At one time or another, I think I've owned a dozen or so. I've liked most all of them for what they were.
I'm not a fan of holding a cymbal back, so I never heavily invested into these. Charlie Brown sent me a few way back when and I played them for quite a while. Nice cymbals, but it always bothered me to think that without the flange, I could get more out of them. That's why they eventually left the stands.
Some of my favorites were a 20 Sound Control Ride, a really cool 13 splash, and of course the salsa pepper line - El Sabor. Those El Sabor's were incredible. I played a full set (minus the hats - never liked those) for years. Just a great sound. Loved them for that 60's rock/pop stuff. So freekin perfect for that.
Your collection is pretty sweet.
I don't believe I've ever owned a 22 Sound Control ... always wanted to lay a stick on one.

hatandbeard

Reaction score

That's kind of amazing that the interesting unique one-off Sabian is the one that ends up sticking around :)

hatandbeard

Reaction score
At one time or another, I think I've owned a dozen or so. I've liked most all of them for what they were.
I'm not a fan of holding a cymbal back, so I never heavily invested into these. Charlie Brown sent me a few way back when and I played them for quite a while. Nice cymbals, but it always bothered me to think that without the flange, I could get more out of them. That's why they eventually left the stands.
Some of my favorites were a 20 Sound Control Ride, a really cool 13 splash, and of course the salsa pepper line - El Sabor. Those El Sabor's were incredible. I played a full set (minus the hats - never liked those) for years. Just a great sound. Loved them for that 60's rock/pop stuff. So freekin perfect for that.
Your collection is pretty sweet.
I don't believe I've ever owned a 22 Sound Control ... always wanted to lay a stick on one.
I love hearing your perspective that's really great for me to hear your take on them.
These are interesting cymbals for sure.
Interesting you mention that about the 22 I have had a hard time coming across them and finally got a hold of an AA 22 which I loved and then had the edge repaired and had rivets installed.
I'd love to keep it but I am selling it you'll see it in the video. By mere coincidence should you be interested let me know.
I find that I actually don't play 22 inch cymbals that much.

edge

Reaction score
Sound Controls are awesome, some are way better than others, the ones that are good are over the top

hatandbeard

Reaction score
I'm so glad that they still push from an Innovative point of view meaning I'm glad that they have Incorporated some of their high-end Artisan lines with the flanged edge damn I'd love to hear yours