Sabian Flange Rides and Sabian Sound Control Rides..swish cymbals..the flanged edge obsession

hatandbeard

Reaction score
Your Sabian collection is not complete without the Encore Series Jack DeJohnette Signature crash. :)
Can´t find a decent pic, but I have a 16" and it has a flanged edge as well.
Your Sabian collection is not complete without the Encore Series Jack DeJohnette Signature crash. :)
Can´t find a decent pic, but I have a 16" and it has a flanged edge as well.
;) ... I had a thing for the very thin dejohnette 20" flat rides ... I didn't realize some of those had the flanged edge as well very cool

hatandbeard

Reaction score
If anyone's interested in either of the flange rides or the riveted sound control let me know!☆♡
I lost some work due to one of my jobs closing because of the virus, so I'm out of some work.
I also lost my gigs this week for the same reason because of cancellations due to the health concerns.
I need to sell some things :/

Those three were already for sale but I'm happy to take offers.

I'll be posting a proper listing in the cymbals section shortly.

Wishing everyone well

REF

Reaction score
Anyone interested in these?
I'm pretty obsessed with them.
Going to be posting a small handful of my flanged Sabians for sale here/etc soon.
Figured it wouldn't hurt to nerd out a bit with anybody that's super into these like I am.

I of course love swish cymbals and thin china cymbals as well.

I dig hand-hammered elements of all kinds and a lot of thin cymbals of course, but I play a Sabian sound control ride everyday and a set of 12 inch K Istanbul 60s hi-hats or set of 60s 12in zanchi Vibra hi-hats.

Anyone else have these really interesting minimal cymbal setups?
I am also pretty fond of pairing my rare 20" Sabian hand-hammered sound control flat ride with these.
I had a 22" that I picked up on ebay. Loved it. Recorded with it, then sold it to the guitarist I recorded with. AAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!! What a stupid thing to do. I have purchased three or four since and none of them sound the same to me. One is an AA, one is an HH, one is a Chester Thompson that was basically a 4000 gram man-hole cover I took down to 2900 grams but, it's still dry as the desert and not that sound. Makes me sick to think about it.

The guitarist would probably trade me for one of the others. It's just sitting there on his kit but, I haven't asked him. He knows what it is by virtue of the recording sessions and I doubt he'll part with it now.

I also have a bunch of Sabian Flat Chinas I love, 14-24. They made the 14 and 24 for me back in the 90s.

hatandbeard

Reaction score
I had a 22" that I picked up on ebay. Loved it. Recorded with it, then sold it to the guitarist I recorded with. AAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!! What a stupid thing to do. I have purchased three or four since and none of them sound the same to me. One is an AA, one is an HH, one is a Chester Thompson that was basically a 4000 gram man-hole cover I took down to 2900 grams but, it's still dry as the desert and not that sound. Makes me sick to think about it.

The guitarist would probably trade me for one of the others. It's just sitting there on his kit but, I haven't asked him. He knows what it is by virtue of the recording sessions and I doubt he'll part with it now.

I also have a bunch of Sabian Flat Chinas I love, 14-24. They made the 14 and 24 for me back in the 90s.
Just listed the 22" AA Sound Control Ride with rivets on the cymbals for sale page :)

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
I finally had a chance to take a picture of mine.

I got mine about 1983-84. Unfortunately when I was in high school we were all about having our cymbals clean and polished so my ink is gone. 20" AA Medium Flange Ride. 1912g

It has been my main go to ride since I bought it until about a year and a half ago when I started using a 20" HH Classic Ride to darken my sound a bit. Still love the large bell on it.

20200317_212631.jpg
20200317_212548.jpg
20200317_212759.jpg

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
I had a 22” Sabian Artisan Medium ride in brilliant finish that I bought new and was never happy with the sound . It had too much clang to it . I talked to Kevin Laskey at Sabian and he suggested that I get a Sound Control flange added to this cymbal . I did and it came back nicely . Really sounded great , far better stick definition and tamed the wash as well.

hatandbeard

Reaction score
I finally had a chance to take a picture of mine.

I got mine about 1983-84. Unfortunately when I was in high school we were all about having our cymbals clean and polished so my ink is gone. 20" AA Medium Flange Ride. 1912g

It has been my main go to ride since I bought it until about a year and a half ago when I started using a 20" HH Classic Ride to darken my sound a bit. Still love the large bell on it.

View attachment 431412 View attachment 431411 View attachment 431413
Ohhhmy☆♡

hatandbeard

Reaction score
I had a 22” Sabian Artisan Medium ride in brilliant finish that I bought new and was never happy with the sound . It had too much clang to it . I talked to Kevin Laskey at Sabian and he suggested that I get a Sound Control flange added to this cymbal . I did and it came back nicely . Really sounded great , far better stick definition and tamed the wash as well.
I didn't know that was possible after the fact whoa!

hatandbeard

Reaction score
I added some to the pile that I'm selling ; made a new list on the for sale thread
.. got some pretty low prices with shipping going on :)

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have one exactly the same. The sound control was added later by the custom shop at Sabian.