Sabian Flange Rides and Sabian Sound Control Rides..swish cymbals..the flanged edge obsession

hatandbeard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
the black logo 20" Vintage Sabian HH Sound Control Ride still for sale

hatandbeard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack, but I have a 22" ed Thigpen crystal bell ride with a flanged edge and an 18" crash ride sound control, both of which I would part with.
Sorry for the delay sometimes I don't realize that there's been a comment made.
I'm very happy for you to chime in :) I appreciate you.
I'm not sure if I'm interested in those right at this very second but I know some folks that might be particularly that 22! feel free to send me some photos and info and weights :)

curly

Reaction score
This heavily patina'd 22 just arrived. Ink logos are all worn off so I'm not which series it is but would guess HH based on the hammering. Video is from the seller and it sounds much better in person with great pitch and wash separation and a great crash.

1597799293961.png

curly

Reaction score
This heavily patina'd 22 just arrived. Ink logos are all worn off so I'm not which series it is but would guess HH based on the hammering. Video is from the seller and it sounds much better in person with great pitch and wash separation and a great crash.

View attachment 456021

I added a few rivets and its even better. Just an exemplary cymbal.

hatandbeard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe the Sabian "El Sabor" series also had similar flanged edges.
You are very correct :) and what's interesting is the El sabor has an unlathed raw bell and they were usually a little bit thicker and heavier and I believe the Chester Thompson ride also has the flanged edge.

hatandbeard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack, but I have a 22" ed Thigpen crystal bell ride with a flanged edge and an 18" crash ride sound control, both of which I would part with.
Is the 22 Thigpen a flat ride or a regular ride?

I got to meet Ed Thigpen once and he gave me one of the best compliments of my life I'll never forget that..

drumjargon

Reaction score
......i had no idea....
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Who has one of those oh my
I did see (and hear) a flanged Zildjian cymbal posted on eBay several years back by one of the drum stores up north that I followed... think it was 20"... don't remember its age, but it was aesthetically and audibly GLORIOUS and it is the ONE cymbal that, to this very day, I regret so much not jumping on.

hatandbeard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I did see (and hear) a flanged Zildjian cymbal posted on eBay several years back by one of the drum stores up north that I followed... think it was 20"... don't remember its age, but it was aesthetically and audibly GLORIOUS and it is the ONE cymbal that, to this very day, I regret so much not jumping on.
well that is the Holy Grail and it is a 20 which is my Holy Grail fuk fuk fuk good to know though

drumjargon

Reaction score
well that is the Holy Grail and it is a 20 which is my Holy Grail fuk fuk fuk good to know though
Well, looking at it again, I may have been off... this is the cymbal I was talking about:

Close to the Zil Flange Ride, maybe? It doesn't sound too pangy, more like a ride. I'd like to hear it without rivets.

WaggoRecords

Reaction score

$115 for a 22” Pre-AA medium flange. Seems like a great deal.