Sabian HH Jazz Ride : opinions?

auto.pilot

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a lighter ride cymbal for small venues. Anybody using a Sabian hh jazz 20 ?

thx jim

jdc

Reaction score
i used one for a while and it wasn't really for me. it was brittle sounding and had a weird hum - had brilliant finish. i switched to a sabian mini bell for smaller/low volume gigs and it worked out great.

mikesdrums

Drummer
Reaction score
i used one for a while and it wasn't really for me. it was brittle sounding and had a weird hum ...
I had a similar experience several years ago. I liked it OK until I started using Ks for everything else. With the Ks, the Sabian sounded out of place -- a little too bright and tinny.

auto.pilot

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Seems like every where i look, people are talking about Ks... I'm gonna look into a K light ride, either 22 or 24

Reactions: Ang

groooooove

Reaction score
i have a 22" sabian manhattan jazz..

its a unique sound. dark, but not trashy or anything like that. dark, but clean, i suppose. warm wash, nice clicky stick sound, lovely bell.

it's very light too, works just fine on the left as a big crash.. sounds awesome with a chain.. never washes out.

if i were to complain about it, all i'd say is that it's not easy to pair with (my) other cymbals... tends to sound out of place with other jazz rides, because it has none of that dragonsbreath washy sound.

for quiet gigs? i'd recommend it. its certainly not too loud

avedisschwinn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i have a 22" sabian manhattan jazz..

its a unique sound. dark, but not trashy or anything like that. dark, but clean, i suppose. warm wash, nice clicky stick sound, lovely bell.

it's very light too, works just fine on the left as a big crash.. sounds awesome with a chain.. never washes out.

if i were to complain about it, all i'd say is that it's not easy to pair with (my) other cymbals... tends to sound out of place with other jazz rides, because it has none of that dragonsbreath washy sound.

for quiet gigs? i'd recommend it. its certainly not too loud
I have a 20" manhattan and it is a great cymbal - your description is very accurate. It actually has a very "tony williams K" sound - definitely complex but not really trashy.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
For very intimate settings its pretty hard to beat a flat ride.
If you run across one, check it out.
Might just be what you're looking for.

Elvis

AustinFitz

Reaction score
Old thread I know, but does anyone currently have one of these cymbals? I foolishly sold my 20" HH Jazz Ride a few years ago. It was my favorite cymbal, and I've decided now that I'm playing again I MUST find one!

AustinFitz

Reaction score
I search Google regularly, but rarely see them listed for sale. When one does pop up it's usually on eBay, and overpriced. There's one listed now from GC, but at nearly $300 shipped I figured I'd ask around here to see if anyone has one they would want to part with for a more reasonable price, or maybe work out a trade for. I believe my old one was a brilliant finish, and the one from GC looks to be natural unless it just really needs a cleaning.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The HH Jazz ride can vary quite a lot in my experience. I have played some that were great, with good stick def and nice crash. And I have played some that are stiff and somewhat dry, with little crashability. Same with the HHX Manhattan rides I have owned. The hands down best Jazz rides from Sabian that I have had were HHX Legacy rides.

Edit: Had some very early HH rides that were not labelled that were GREAT. The ones with the little HH logo beside the Sabian logo. Very sadly I sold the set and UPS lost the box. UGHHH

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Wow - Groooooooove nailed the 22 Manhattan Jazz. I never use mine, though and want to sell it. $225 + s/h. I remember having a 20 Artisan light - great cymbal, but a nice chunk had been "professionally" cut out of it as the prior owner had bashed it & cracked it......it had potential but that big chunk killed the sound.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 20 HH JAzz Ride. 1980 grams. Awesome bell, crash and still some stick definition. Mine is not trashy at all. Really like it, but not a cutting cymbal of course.

AustinFitz

Reaction score
In your opinion, is $300 WAY overpriced?
"WAY" overpriced? No, but it's a little more than I'd like to pay. Looking around at other similar used HH models most seem readily available in the $200 range. I would think the Jazz Ride should be about the same. I paid $250 for the first one I had, but it was basically brand new.

More than the price though, another concern is the fact that being hand hammered I know each individual cymbal will be a little different... I was hoping maybe they wouldn't vary too wildly.

The first one I had I picked out of a very large selection of cymbals at the local GC back when they actually kept a well stocked cymbal room. I went in specifically looking for a ride and without looking at brand names, or prices, I played every ride in there. Something about that Jazz Ride just instantly spoke to me! It seemed to be able to do it all. Great stick definition with a nice ping, but also a dark and complex, yet clean wash that was surprisingly controllable. It also opened up fairly easily with a sweet crash! I loved the bell too! I'd guess it was probably around 1900g. It was pretty thin, which I like.

It was my favorite cymbal from that day on! I liked to keep the Jazz Ride on my right as a ride/crash, and then a thick, heavy 20" ride on my left as a dedicated pingy ride. I think I'd like to get back to that kind of setup.

Last edited:

Northwoods Dan

Reaction score
Someone mentioned this cymbal earlier in this thread but I've had a Sabian Manhattan 22" ride for YEARS (like, I think I got it back in 2000 or 2001) and it's one of the best sounding jazz rides I've ever owned. I want to get three rivets installed in a triangle formation, but I don't want to risk damaging the cymbal.

It's washy with a great bell, thin, and works on a lot of applications. It is one of my go to "jazz" ride cymbal for studio work. It sounds great as a rock "crash".

Where it falls short is that it is on the thin side, and the "ping" doesn't cut through in louder situations like rock gigs unless I'm on the bell, doing shoulder strikes, or "crashing" it.

AustinFitz

Reaction score
I have a 20 HH JAzz Ride. 1980 grams. Awesome bell, crash and still some stick definition. Mine is not trashy at all. Really like it, but not a cutting cymbal of course.
If you ever decide you want to part with it, please let me know! I don't know exactly what my old one weighed, but listening to sound files of other HH Jazz Rides online I'm guessing it was right around the 2000 gram area give or take.

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
I would go with the Sabian HH Vanguard ride over the HH Jazz Ride . The Vanguard is thinner and is also an excellent crash . I was looking for a ride two years ago for some quiet rooms that I had to gig at and this ride filled the bill perfectly . Mine was a 21” .

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I've been looking at the Wide Ride and the HH Complex rides lately.
I'm not the biggest Sabian fan, but those cymbals intrigue me.

Latest posts