Sabian HH raw bell dry ride!

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I ran into this while looking at the HH series when I was cymbal searching. 21" raw bell dry ride. This cymbal sounds pretty amazing. Just wanted to show it (I don't own one)! I've gotta really like something to get connected to it and the new remastered Sabian's are definitely it for me. I can't get enough of my new HHX's!

Last edited:

ggmerino

Reaction score
I have one of the earlier Phil Collins ones and I love it- great for mic'd rock, funk and electric blues and such.

Last edited:

Jazzcrimes

Reaction score
Had the earlier version as well (I think it was a 21”?). I used this Ride with a set of 14” Sabian Fat Hats, a 17“ Zildjian A Custom Crash, and a 16” Sabian AA Dark Crash for years in a blues/rock band. Alas, they are all gone now, but that was really the perfect setup for that band.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one. My heaviest ride and my only Sabian. I was looking into Zildjian Pings and then this old and somewhat dirty Raw Bell popped up for a very good price.

I only got to play it once with a full band before Covid, in a room with high ceilings, but it worked really well in a rock setting, regal and authoritarian but with a bit of dirt. Articulate chorus cymbal. (I’d like to think this could work in a big band setting, but this is beyond my ken.)

One thing I notice on mine, which I quite like, is that the stick attack and articulation are way on top of the wash. What I mean is there is an separate sort of baseline hum in the wash that is more pronounced than my other rides. It’s not monochromatic as it fluctuates with what I’m doing on the treble end but it’s consistent and separate. I’d call it a drone note but the connotation of “drone” is negative and this is not that. It sits there like a sonic down comforter. The ping seems way above that.

The effect to me is a cymbal version of what snare buzz provides to a kit in a live setting. I feel that out in front of the kit snare buzz is a blending sound that ties in the kick and toms and snare once the band is pumping. Well my HH RBDR is the equivaklent of snare buzz for the cymbal register. Fills out the sound a way that doesn’t clash with anything, or cover anything. Sort of the bonito flakes put in miso soup that make it taste so round.

The only issue I see going forward for me with this one is that the ping is a little higher pitched than I’m used to, being it’s a heavier cymbal. So I need to be mindful in how I work around certain female vocalists, or higher pitched guitar parts, so I’m not fighting what they are doing. But that’s not the cymbal; that’s me learning to play the cymbal.

Here’s a photo of my mom showing me how to do it properly:

542110C7-CD5C-4C66-BE80-4AEB44098382.jpeg

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have one. My heaviest ride and my only Sabian. I was looking into Zildjian Pings and then this old and somewhat dirty Raw Bell popped up for a very good price.

I only got to play it once with a full band before Covid, in a room with high ceilings, but it worked really well in a rock setting, regal and authoritarian but with a bit of dirt. Articulate chorus cymbal. (I’d like to think this could work in a big band setting, but this is beyond my ken.)

One thing I notice on mine, which I quite like, is that the stick attack and articulation are way on top of the wash. What I mean is there is an separate sort of baseline hum in the wash that is more pronounced than my other rides. It’s not monochromatic as it fluctuates with what I’m doing on the treble end but it’s consistent and separate. I’d call it a drone note but the connotation of “drone” is negative and this is not that. It sits there like a sonic down comforter. The ping seems way above that.

The effect to me is a cymbal version of what snare buzz provides to a kit in a live setting. I feel that out in front of the kit snare buzz is a blending sound that ties in the kick and toms and snare once the band is pumping. Well my HH RBDR is the equivaklent of snare buzz for the cymbal register. Fills out the sound a way that doesn’t clash with anything, or cover anything. Sort of the bonito flakes put in miso soup that make it taste so round.

The only issue I see going forward for me with this one is that the ping is a little higher pitched than I’m used to, being it’s a heavier cymbal. So I need to be mindful in how I work around certain female vocalists, or higher pitched guitar parts, so I’m not fighting what they are doing. But that’s not the cymbal; that’s me learning to play the cymbal.

Here’s a photo of my mom showing me how to do it properly:

View attachment 457231
Great picture of the master showing you how to play it! Made my day! Thank you! I lost my mom in September:(

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
WOW !!!!!!!

I just had to take this video and play it beside my HHRDB.
20200826_203552.jpg

THAT REMASTERED CYMBAL SOUNDS AMAZING!!!!!!

I can see (watch that beautiful shimmer) and hear a big difference in the wash from mine. This new model sounds much more crashable and warmer. Mine is quite a bit drier with not as much wash and definitely not as crashable as that one.

That remodeled model sounds incredible!

I WANT ONE!

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
WOW !!!!!!!

I just had to take this video and play it beside my HHRDB.
View attachment 457257

THAT REMASTERED CYMBAL SOUNDS AMAZING!!!!!!

I can see (watch that beautiful shimmer) and hear a big difference in the wash from mine. This new model sounds much more crashable and warmer. Mine is quite a bit drier with not as much wash and definitely not as crashable as that one.

That remodeled model sounds incredible!

I WANT ONE!
Me too!, LOL!!
The whole new remastered Sabian's are amazing. That's why i chose them when I replaced all my cymbals a few weeks ago. To my ear, I couldn't find anything better. I went full HHX and I coudn't be happier. Drum Center of Portsmouth did a full demo review on the new Sabian's and they were super impressed. If you read the comments, they speak volumes as to how drummers are in awe with the new sound:

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently got a 21” HH Raw Bell Dry Ride in Brilliant finish in trade from a forum member . I am pleasantly surprised how much I like it . The stick is very pronounced and it has a shimmery wash . The bell is fantastic . I normally like rides that are crashable so this is by far my heaviest ride . I do like it a lot regardless .

The HH Raw Bell Dry ride is Sabian's best selling ride cymbal according to Kevin Laskey of Sabian.

Attachments

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Update:
I ended up buying and receiving today the 22" HH medium ride in brilliant finish. After hearing a ton of sound files side by side, I chose the 22" medium over the 21" raw bell ride that I originally had posted about. I got a good deal on it as well from Memphis Drum Shop because Sabian discontinued the Medium HH in the 22" size. I played it for a bit today and I can honestly say that it sounds fantastic. Perfect stick definition, balanced wash and a neutral bell that doesn't scream or pierce. A true jack of all trades ride! It's one of those cymbals that you fall in love with as soon as you play it. I love all my HHX's but really didn't love the HHX 20" medium ride that my cymbal pack came with. There was something missing with that cymbal. It was just blah!! (At least for me!) This 22" is the perfect replacement! Loving it!!
IMG_20200916_204908.jpg

Last edited:

Deafmoon

Reaction score
I like the dark articulate stick sound. I don’t like what I hear when crashed. This cymbal sounds like it may be around 3000 grams. That’s heavy to crash accents on in between articulate sticking. Nice rock bell though.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like the dark articulate stick sound. I don’t like what I hear when crashed. This cymbal sounds like it may be around 3000 grams. That’s heavy to crash accents on in between articulate sticking. Nice rock bell though.
I'm not a ride crasher so I have no concern with that. I rarely do that while playing. 3000 grams is actually not bad for ride crashing if that's the sound that you seek.

Last edited:

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
I had a HH raw bell dry ride a few years ago and I wasn’t a fan. It sounded like a trash can lid but I was going through a light ride phase and I was playing in a lighter indie pop rock band so it just didn’t fit. I’m playing in something a little more rock than pop now and I wish I could try it again in a different context. I traded it in a shop to go towards a 22” Zildjian K light ride.

Chonson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Add me to the list of believers. I got a new HH back at the beginning of the year and loved it.

The remastered Sabians are really something special. I also got a pair of 15” AAX hats when I was looking for something brighter than my Oms. Pretty sold on Sabian all around in a way I never was prior to this year.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had one for a long time and then traded it away a few months back. Man do I wish I had it back. I had not played my HH cymbal set for sometime and forgot how in love with that ride I was.
2C6DDE49-5961-41AB-B8BA-B6691B7F3148.jpeg