Sabian HHX Legacy Rides?

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Guys I'm taking a strong liking to Sabian's 22” HHX Legacy Heavy Ride. I'd like a new ride for rock/classic rock gigs after using my 20" AA medium for a long time. I like what I heard when I played around with it in the store but I'd like to hear more. All I'm finding online is just drummers playing this ride alone. I can't find any clips of it being played in a live band situation, preferably rock. Anyone have a video or audio clip they wouldn't mind sharing of this ride live with a band? Thanks.

mfryed2112

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is all I can find that is good, I think sabian had a Facebook video about a year ago. What cymbals do you currently play? These cymbals play light but sound big if that makes sense? They will work for rock, but probably not heavy rock.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks Fry! I didn't see that one. That Legacy sounds damn nice every time I hear it. I'm using an A Custom 16 and two K Dark 17s. Live I play everything from rock to hard rock. What a stretch! :toothy10: At home I do a little of everything. I like the 22" Evolution ride too but not sure how well either the Legacy Heavy or the Evo would do club/bar gigging.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know everyone has a different opinion and the info can be overwhelming at times, but let me add to the overload...
I find my 22" Legacy Heavy to play much lighter than it's 3055 grams and also much quieter than expected. In fact it is part of my low volume bag made up of all HH Sabians. It is versatile yes, but I also find it a quieter cymbal and therefor would encourage you to try one out in a louder rock context before you drop the coin to make sure it will work for your needs.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks FD. I appreciate the feedback. Would you have any suggestions? I don't want all-ping, but something darker with a little wash is fine that can be heard in a rock gig. Thanks.

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Forum Member tkillian uses one in a jazz setting as I recall. It sounds great when he plays it, as does every cymbal he plays. I hope he chimes in soon.
It's probably more about touch, really.
I've wanted a 21" Legacy heavy for a while, be sure to keep us posted on what you decide!

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

I have a band clip Ill try to load

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know everyone has a different opinion and the info can be overwhelming at times, but let me add to the overload...
I find my 22" Legacy Heavy to play much lighter than it's 3055 grams and also much quieter than expected. In fact it is part of my low volume bag made up of all HH Sabians. It is versatile yes, but I also find it a quieter cymbal and therefor would encourage you to try one out in a louder rock context before you drop the coin to make sure it will work for your needs.
i found the same thing when I briefly had a Legacy ride, it’s quieter and has more of a wash than I expected

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks tkillian for the vid. There's a 20" and 21" Legacy rides and the 22" Legacy Heavy ride. To me the 21" Legacy is slightlly louder than the 22" Legacy Heavy but I dig the 22 Heavy more.

Latest posts