Sabian HHX Revamp? Coming soon?

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember hearing last year when Sabian did the big re-brand a mention of the HHX line getting an overhaul similar to that of the AAX for winter NAMM. Has anyone heard any news about the model designations? I expect they will do the thin/med/heavy thing. I hope they keep the Xtreme and Groove models and introduce some different ride/crash models.

Seems to me that they can combine a few models and maybe adjust the profiles, weights, and hammering to reduce the redundancy of this line. Maybe have some "duo" styled cymbals, and different lathing.

What would you all like to see happen with HHX?

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
They do have something called HHX Complex coming out next month. I don't know what they're planning to do with the overhaul but I feel like some of the new AAX models this year are kind of dark anyways. They sound kind of like how I would expect a HHX cymbal to sound.

By the way, all the Sabian models now have just the series and model name on top on the right like HHX always has and the new Sabian logo on the bottom.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I noticed that Memphis Drum Shop is having a Sabian "Disco Days Sale". Disco for "discontinued". I only looked at it briefly but it looks like they are moving all of the old logo stuff out to sell the new logo stuff.

May be a sign that the revamped HHX line is coming soon?

p.s.-That video doesn't do anything for me as far as provoking interest in any of those cymbals. Guess that just means they are not for me? Funny, because I actually liked the HHX line.

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
I went by my local drum shop today to pick up a bass drum head and he told me that he had just been sent 3 new HHX crashes, all 18 in. HHX Complex crash, HHX Thin crash, and HHX Medium crash. So to answer the OP yes, they are doing a revamp just like they did for the AAX this year and they're doing the thin/medium/heavy variations. The complex crash was really thin and sounded to me like what Zildjian is trying to do with the K Sweet crashes (kind of dry too). The new HHX models sounded like the AAX ones, so I'm not sure why they made the new AAX sound more like HHX. Didn't care for the thin crash so much but the medium was nice. I had my cymbal bag in the car so I brought in my AAX and HHX X-Plosion crashes (both 18") to compare. The HHX medium goes well with those 2 while the thin and complex models go together well because they are similar. It seems like they're keeping the HHX X-plosion models (he didn't know which other models were staying) and I thought my HHX X-plosion was the most versatile out of those (the medium would be versatile too if it was a little lighter). I hope they keep the HHX X-celerator hats but I'm curious to see which other models stay.

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
The new HHX models are now on Sabian's site and at major retailers.

Buffalo_drummer

Reaction score
I read this description that the the HHX Medium was replacing the Stage Crash series.

The HHX Medium Crash with brilliant finish introduces a whole new design to the HHX line. Starting with a round of sparse hammering, followed by lathing, then denser HHX hammering over top, the result is a crash cymbal that is thinner, darker and faster than the HHX Stage Crashes it replaces

BTW, I own 2 HHX XPlosions and I love them. 18" and 19"

EMW

Reaction score
They do have something called HHX Complex coming out next month. I don't know what they're planning to do with the overhaul but I feel like some of the new AAX models this year are kind of dark anyways. They sound kind of like how I would expect a HHX cymbal to sound.

By the way, all the Sabian models now have just the series and model name on top on the right like HHX always has and the new Sabian logo on the bottom.
See my new post today (10/12)--Steve Ferrone was playing a new HHX Complex ride, and it was tremendous. It's on the Sabian website now. Cheap it's not.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For those of us that picked up on the sale, DrumcenterNH had a slew of the Prototypes they snagged from Sabian. Some of them were the foundations and fine examples of this new series. Phenomenal cymbals.

Latest posts