Sabian rebrand

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's some additional insight that I stumbled across while doing some digging. If you read some of the articles, you may see why the ad campaign is both confrontational as well as tone deaf.
https://www.stealingshare.com/rebranding-of-sabian/

Dan
That write up is so full of itself and so totally out of touch with the drummers who are reacting to this rebrand. Perhaps it is the result of them seeking out only one type of drummer for their market research? Did they talk to, for example, percussion instructors at the college level? Latin artists? Drummers for houses of worship? Their sample must have been a pretty narrow slice to think that the “attitude” they wanted to reinforce is endemic of drummers who like Sabian cymbals.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That write up is so full of itself and so totally out of touch with the drummers who are reacting to this rebrand. Perhaps it is the result of them seeking out only one type of drummer for their market research? Did they talk to, for example, percussion instructors at the college level? Latin artists? Drummers for houses of worship? Their sample must have been a pretty narrow slice to think that the “attitude” they wanted to reinforce is endemic of drummers who like Sabian cymbals.
It's obvious that they were sold a bill of goods. I really enjoyed the title of that article "Only idiots disliked the Gillette ad" or some such. Tells me almost everything I need to know about them.

Dan

jmpd_utoronto

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's some additional insight that I stumbled across while doing some digging. If you read some of the articles, you may see why the ad campaign is both confrontational as well as tone deaf.

Dan
Even the way that writeup is done is... questionable. I can't put my finger on it but even some of the sentence structure is not quite right. I have to say that reading it doesn't give me any more confidence that the people doing the rebrand really knew what they were doing in this case.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I found this line in that article interesting.

"Not a single drummer worth his salt does not own (or should own) a Sabian cymbal."

I'm sure it's a typo, but a rather glaring one.

I just don't see where adopting an edgy attitude and changing a logo is really going to make a huge difference in what is such a small marketplace to begin with, particularly when the actual product stays the same. I mean were any of us thinking "Well that's a fine sounding cymbal but I just can't abide by this company's businesslike attitude or logo so I'm not buying it." I suppose you could reverse that same argument with the current situation, neither should be enough to prevent someone from buying a cymbal they like...but why fix what wasn't actually broken? I'm sure the rebranding strategists made out like bandits though for coming up with a ninth grade corporate attitude and a fourth grade logo.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I found this line in that article interesting.

"Not a single drummer worth his salt does not own (or should own) a Sabian cymbal."

I'm sure it's a typo, but a rather glaring one.
All that does, in my opinion, is reveal that those guys are hacks, incapable of writing above a fourth-grade level.

Dan

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Dan

Oh wow! What a painful but interesting read, like the whole company's webpage. This explains a lot. Actually this explains everything.

Some clips from this branding company's page.

About their competitors:
"They have no idea what they are doing. They are so clueless, that they actually feature and brag about some of the worst excuses for rebranding we have ever seen."

About themselves:
"Stealing Share is an elite global brand company that arms you with the tools you need to win. You won’t find any branding bull*** here."

And then, few lines later:
"Our strategists uncover the fears, aspirations and belief systems of your target audiences, then we infuse those understandings into the DNA of your brand position."

The same rotten attitude and foul language as on the Sabian campaign is all over their page. Even their contact page states: Pick up the damn phone and call us.
And what I find bizarre is that lion share of their clients seem to be in medical business.

I actually feel really sorry for Sabian. They got sideswiped by this company.

https://www.stealingshare.com

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just pulled it up and scanned it over. Agree with you, Mark. They are a foul force with a lack of understanding what makes this cymbalsmith family special. They missed the mark by miles and miles.
As a note, the website is riddled with grammatical errors and bizarre formatting choices.
Blows my mind just how poor of a move this was for Sabian.

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
What did I just read? Makes no sense at all. Based on that though it seems that Andy Zildjian was the one who came up with the idea to do the rebranding.

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"Only someone who practices tirelessly tying his own flies as an art form and returns EVERY salmon he hooks back into the river has the qualifications to be CFO of an art studio like Sabian" is a thing I just read in that article.

This reminds me of some of the "Barnum talk" garbage we got from some market/design people our university interviewed for a big project. We literally laughed them out of the room.

Yeah, Stealing Share appears to have found a sucker in Sabian.

Mn02

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, the CFO at the company work for also ties his own files - maybe a background in business and accounting is unnecessary. I on the other hand only know how to zip my own fly, so I will never be a CFO.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Dan
Thanks for finding that! I was looking for ad agencies - this explains everything. Sometimes I wonder what’s worse - the person who comes up with a bad idea, or the person who buys it.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You guys have it (the article) covered well enough....pretty much my thoughts exactly lol.

The fly tying\ unharmed bit was a real knee slapper. Enough said right there to never buy a Sabian cymbal again. And it explains perfectly the condescending, holier than thou, elevated nose attitude of the campaign and, now unfortunately "the company". Give me a humble cymbalsmith over that load of crappola any day...lol.

All I can think is that Andy Z. Must have thrown a fit when he started hearing REAL feedback on the rebranding fiasco and this article is part of the ad companies defense strategy to justify themselves.

Basically they are only making it worse....

Last edited:

SnareBuzz76

Reaction score
As a drummer and graphic designer - not that my opinion matters more, only that I've been trained in both - the new logo looks like a slashy 80's ninja movie title. I get more of a kitschy Asian feel rather than Southeastern Europe - an area which is historically/visually rich and possesses tons of fodder for a great logo. Also, there's poor integration between the slashy letterforms and the radiating lathe marks in the new logo, which look like an afterthought and a poor attempt to reference the previous mark. I don't mind the graffiti/riot spray paint campaign - but the logo is ill-conceived and pedestrian.

Latest posts